Ebara Hatakeyama Museum of Art, Tokyo

Ebara Hatakeyama Museum of Art is a refined private museum where Shirokanedai's tea culture, modern industrial patronage, Japanese garden design and exceptional East Asian antiquities converge within the former estate of engineer and collector Issey Hatakeyama.

Set along Sakurada-dori near Meguro-dori and just steps from Takanawadai Station, the museum occupies a secluded former private estate on the elevated ground between Shirokanedai and Takanawa, where Hatakeyama assembled historic buildings, tea rooms and a Japanese garden around spaces created for collecting, Noh and chanoyu. Hatakeyama acquired roughly 10,000 square meters here during the early Showa period on land formerly occupied by the residence of Count Terashima Munenori, and the property carried an earlier cultural association with an imperial Noh performance held on the site in 1880. He subsequently transferred architectural elements from Hannyaji Temple in Nara and a Noh stage belonging to the Yokoyama family, retainers of the Kaga Maeda clan, into the estate he named Hannyaen. The result is a museum whose surrounding topography and surviving garden architecture remain inseparable from the collector's effort to bring antiquities, tea practice and historic structures into a single cultural environment.

Ebara Hatakeyama Museum of Art is best known for preserving the collection created by Issey Hatakeyama, an engineer and industrialist whose career connected Japan's technological modernization with one of the country's major twentieth-century assemblages of tea utensils and East Asian antiquities. Born in Kanazawa in 1881 as a descendant of the Hatakeyama clan of Noto, Hatakeyama studied mechanical engineering at Tokyo Imperial University under Ariya Inokuty, whose centrifugal-pump theory had gained international recognition. Hatakeyama founded the Inokuty Type Machinery Office in 1912 to commercialize pumps derived from his professor's engineering work. That enterprise developed into Ebara Corporation, producing pumps and later blowers, refrigeration equipment, compressors and water-treatment systems as Japanese industry reduced dependence on imported machinery. Hatakeyama carried the name Sokuo in his cultural life and became deeply involved with both Noh and chanoyu. His father held teaching credentials in the Hosho school of Noh, and Hatakeyama himself eventually received full Hosho certification in 1955. Tea gatherings became an important setting for sharing the antiquities he had accumulated across decades. Concern over preserving culturally significant works and keeping important Japanese objects within the country eventually pushed his private collecting toward a permanent public institution. Hatakeyama established the supporting foundation in 1960 and opened the Ebara Hatakeyama Museum of Art in 1964, joining the industrial fortune created through engineering with a museum conceived for preservation, scholarship and public appreciation.

Six National Treasures and 33 Important Cultural Properties now sit within a collection of approximately 1,300 works spanning tea utensils, painting, calligraphy, ceramics, lacquerware and Noh costumes from Japan, China and Korea. National Treasures include Evening Bell at a Misty Temple attributed to Muqi, Apple Blossoms attributed to Zhao Chang, a calligraphic fragment by Indara with an inscription by Chushi Fanqi, Fujiwara no Sukemasa's Letter of Departure from the Capital and the Butterfly Mother-of-Pearl Inlay Makie Tebako. Tea holdings incorporate utensils associated with Matsudaira Fumai, the daimyo tea master whose collecting became central to Japanese chanoyu history, and the textile holdings include Noh costumes transmitted through the Maeda family of Kaga. The original main museum building was completed in 1964 around Hatakeyama's preferences for intimate viewing and natural light. A four-and-a-half-year reconstruction retained that building's interior and exterior character, strengthened its seismic performance and insulation and introduced updated exhibition systems. New Material Research Laboratory prepared the basic design, with Taisei Corporation responsible for detailed design, and a new wing expanded exhibition space to approximately three times its former scale. A connecting passage modeled on the hashigakari of a Noh stage links the old and new buildings, giving Hatakeyama's performing-arts background a direct architectural presence within the reconstructed complex. The museum reopened on October 5, 2024 under the Ebara Hatakeyama Museum of Art name, extending a collection formed through twentieth-century industrial patronage into a substantially expanded institution sixty years after its original public debut.

Ebara Hatakeyama Museum of Art works as the anchor for a daytime progression through an Edo-period garden transformed by successive industrialists, protected terrain carrying archaeological and daimyo history and an imperial residence created through collaboration between Japanese architects and leading French Art Deco designers.

Begin at Happo-en, whose approximately 33,000-square-meter garden occupies property associated with Hikozaemon Okubo, a close retainer of Tokugawa Ieyasu, during the early Edo period. Businessman Kisaku Shibusawa held the property near the end of the Meiji era before mining and industrial entrepreneur Fusanosuke Kuhara acquired it during the Taisho period and developed the foundation of the surviving garden. Toshitsuka Hase gained use of part of Kuhara's residence and grounds in 1950 for a restaurant, with Kuhara himself supplying the Happo-en name. Continue to Institute for Nature Study, where mid-Jomon pottery and shell mounds establish human occupation long before the modern Shirokanedai district emerged. Matsudaira Yorishige, lord of Takamatsu and elder brother of Tokugawa Mitsukuni, received the property as a villa in 1664; later uses included a Meiji-era military gunpowder magazine and the Shirokane Imperial Estate after transfer to the Imperial Household Ministry in 1917. The Ministry of Education received the ground in 1949, when the former imperial property gained protection as both a Natural Monument and Historic Site, and the National Museum of Nature and Science incorporated the institute in 1962. Conclude at Tokyo Metropolitan Teien Art Museum, completed in 1933 as the residence of Prince Asaka after the prince and Princess Nobuko encountered French Art Deco during their years in Paris. The Imperial Household Ministry's construction bureau directed the architecture, Henri Rapin designed principal interiors and RenΓ© Lalique supplied decorative glass including the entrance doors and lighting. Tokyo opened the residence as a museum in 1983, and the national government designated the main building, tea house, entrance gate and associated structures Important Cultural Properties in 2015. The progression moves from private Edo and modern industrial stewardship through protected terrain carrying Jomon, daimyo, military and imperial histories into an Art Deco residence created through Japanese-French collaboration, placing Hatakeyama's own transformation of a Shirokanedai estate into a cultural institution within a broader local history of patronage and preservation.

MAKE IT REAL

Foresyte Travel reveals places that feel extraordinary long before you arrive.
Experience premium editorial crafted for luxury travelers.

SEARCH

GET THE APP

Read the Latest:

Daytime aerial view of the Las Vegas Strip with Bellagio Fountains and major resorts.

Itinerary Inspiration

Perfect weekend in Las Vegas

Read now
Illuminated water fountains in front of the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas

Fascinations

Fun facts about Las Vegas

Read now
<< Back to news page
Right Menu Icon