Kameido Station, Tokyo

Kameido Station is a vigorous rail junction where Kameido's industrial growth, eastern Tokyo commerce, private-railway competition and transition from Meiji suburb into a dense metropolitan district converge around tracks first opened more than 120 years ago.

Set along Keiyo-doro near Meiji-dori and just steps from Kameido's principal shopping streets, the station joins JR East's east-West Chuo-Sobu corridor with the compact Tobu Kameido Line running north toward Hikifune. Elevated JR platforms cross above the district as Tobu trains terminate at ground level, preserving two railway systems whose relationship began during the rapid expansion of private railways across eastern Tokyo. Commercial streets extend outward from both sides of the tracks through territory transformed by railway access, twentieth-century reconstruction and successive station-building projects. The result is a station where two surviving rail networks preserve the transportation history that helped turn Kameido from the eastern edge of Meiji Tokyo into one of Koto City's major commercial centers.

Kameido Station is best known for becoming the connection point through which two competing Meiji railway companies briefly shared a route into Central Tokyo. Sobu Railway opened its Kameido station on March 29, 1904 as preparations advanced to extend the company's line west from Honjo toward a new terminal at Ryogokubashi. Tobu Railway completed the 3.4-kilometer Hikifune-Kameido Line seven days later on April 5. That connection gave Tobu access to Sobu Railway tracks between Kameido and Ryogokubashi, allowing Tobu trains to reach the new terminal without constructing an independent approach through the densely developing eastern city. The arrangement immediately altered Tobu's network. Its earlier route between Hikifune and Azumabashi closed after the Kameido connection opened, temporarily making the Kameido route part of Tobu's principal passenger approach toward Tokyo. Nationalization of Sobu Railway in 1907 changed the strategic calculation. Tobu revived Azumabashi for freight in 1908 and restored passenger service there in 1910, ending through operation from Kameido to Ryogokubashi. A route created as a major gateway into Tokyo had become the short branch line whose 3.4-kilometer alignment survives between Kameido and Hikifune.

The railway junction acquired another historical role during the catastrophic Arakawa flooding of August 1910. Floodwater spread across the low-lying eastern districts and reached the railway infrastructure around Kameido, leaving the station and surrounding tracks amid a disaster that disrupted transportation across the region. Koto City preserves period postcards specifically depicting Kameido Station during the flood, alongside images of the temporary Tenjin-gawa stop and inundated streets across the district. The station subsequently passed from the national railway system into JR East during the 1987 division of Japanese National Railways, creating the present relationship between JR and Tobu at the junction. Commercial development above and beside the tracks deepened that role. Kameido Station Building operated the Elnaard complex before its company merged into Atre in 2004, and Elnaard became Atre Kameido in March 2006. Atre undertook its largest Kameido expansion in 2024 by acquiring and demolishing an adjoining building, constructing a new wing and connecting the addition directly with the existing station building. The project represented Atre's first expansion created by joining a new building to an existing property with level floor connections across successive stories. Kameido Station consequently carries two distinct forms of metropolitan change: a railway junction born from Meiji competition and a station complex repeatedly rebuilt around the commercial district that grew from those tracks.

Kameido Station works as the anchor for a daytime progression through Tenjin worship, medieval warrior tradition and the horticultural culture that made Kameido one of Edo's celebrated excursion districts.

Begin at Kameido Tenjin Shrine, where Dazaifu priest Sugawara Otori Nobusuke arrived after carving an image of Sugawara no Michizane from a branch of Dazaifu's sacred tobiume plum. Tokugawa Ietsuna granted land during reconstruction following the 1657 Great Fire of Meireki, and the completed 1662 precinct reproduced Dazaifu Tenmangu through its sanctuary, corridors, heart-shaped pond and drum bridges. Known historically as Higashi Dazaifu Tenmangu and Kameido Dazaifu Tenmangu, the institution became a major eastern center of devotion to Michizane before receiving its present name in 1936. Continue to Katori Shrine, whose foundation tradition reaches to 665, when Fujiwara no Kamatari enshrined Katori Okami and presented a sword during a journey through eastern Japan. Fujiwara no Hidesato later prayed there during the campaign against Taira no Masakado in 940 and presented a bow and arrow after victory. The offering became known as Kachiya, establishing a martial tradition now carried into prayers for sporting achievement and the annual Kachiya Festival. Conclude at Ryuganji, founded in 1395 and later celebrated as Hagidera after extensive plantings of bush clover transformed its grounds during the Edo period. Priest Gikai renewed those plantings in 1770, and the temple became sufficiently prominent as a seasonal destination to enter Edo-period visual culture. Matsuo Basho's connection with the temple survives through a monument, extending Kameido's horticultural history into literary commemoration. The progression moves from a seventeenth-century recreation of Dazaifu's sacred landscape through a warrior sanctuary carrying a tenth-century victory tradition into an Edo flower temple associated with Basho, revealing how religion, military memory and cultivated landscapes shaped Kameido long before its railway junction reorganized the district.

MAKE IT REAL

Foresyte Travel reveals places that feel extraordinary long before you arrive.
Experience premium editorial crafted for luxury travelers.

SEARCH

GET THE APP

Read the Latest:

Daytime aerial view of the Las Vegas Strip with Bellagio Fountains and major resorts.

Itinerary Inspiration

Perfect weekend in Las Vegas

Read now
Illuminated water fountains in front of the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas

Fascinations

Fun facts about Las Vegas

Read now
<< Back to news page
Right Menu Icon