Kamiyamacho, Tokyo

Kamiyamacho is a cultured enclave where western Shibuya's former estate landscape, residential refinement, broadcasting culture and independent dining scene converge along the elevated ground between Central Shibuya and Yoyogi.

Positioned between Shoto, Tomigaya, and Udagawacho, the neighborhood occupies a compact slope rising away from Shibuya's commercial center toward the greener territory surrounding Yoyogi. Residential streets developed across ground once divided among estates and peripheral fields, creating a quieter urban scale within walking distance of one of Tokyo's largest commercial districts. Restaurants, specialist shops and low-rise residences now share these blocks with diplomatic and institutional properties, preserving an unusually measured transition between Shibuya and the neighborhoods farther west. The result is an enclave where residential Tokyo, creative commerce, international institutions and the cultural gravity of neighboring Yoyogi meet within a distinctive hillside quarter.

Kamiyamacho is best known for developing within the western Shibuya territory transformed after the Meiji Restoration from agricultural and estate land into one of Tokyo's most consequential residential and institutional districts. Creation of Shibuya Village in 1889 consolidated older settlements during the municipal reorganization that accompanied Tokyo's rapid expansion beyond the former Edo core. Railway growth accelerated that expansion after Shibuya Station opened on the Nippon Railway in 1885, drawing commerce and housing toward a district whose western hills remained substantially less developed than the station surroundings. Shibuya became a town in 1909 and entered Tokyo City as Shibuya Ward in 1932, placing Kamiyamacho inside the capital just as suburban development was replacing remaining fields and large properties across western Shibuya. Wartime destruction and postwar reconstruction initiated another profound change nearby when occupation authorities constructed Washington Heights in 1946 across the former military ground at Yoyogi. The United States housing complex contained 827 residences before the property returned to Japanese control by 1964, when Olympic redevelopment converted surrounding land into sporting and public facilities. NHK subsequently relocated its broadcasting center from Uchisaiwaicho to the Yoyogi-Shibuya district, beginning operations there in stages from 1965 and concentrating national broadcasting immediately east of Kamiyamacho. Shibuya's 1885 railway connection, 1932 incorporation, postwar Washington Heights and NHK's move established the metropolitan conditions surrounding Kamiyamacho without erasing the smaller residential scale inherited from its position beyond the historic commercial center.

The wider western Shibuya plateau acquired a separate cultural lineage through the Nabeshima family, which purchased former Kishu Tokugawa estate ground in neighboring Shoto in 1876 and established a tea plantation producing tea under the Shoto name. The plantation disappeared as residential development advanced, and the Nabeshima family donated the surviving spring-centered property to Tokyo City in 1932, preserving part of the former estate landscape amid the increasingly urban districts surrounding Kamiyamacho. Collector Tohru Toguri later established another connection with Nabeshima history when the Toguri Museum of Art opened in 1987 on former Nabeshima estate ground. Toguri had begun collecting old implements during Japan's postwar modernization before concentrating on porcelain during the 1960s, assembling approximately 7,000 works centered on Imari and Nabeshima ware alongside Chinese and Korean ceramics. The Nabeshima estate, Shoto tea plantation and Toguri collection connect the residential territory bordering Kamiyamacho with a continuous sequence extending from former daimyo property through Meiji cultivation into one of Japan's specialist collections of East Asian porcelain.

Kamiyamacho works as the anchor for a day tracing twentieth-century Japanese architecture, private collecting and the artistic institutions that developed across western Shibuya.

Begin at Shoto Museum of Art, conceived after Shibuya's 1973 Long-Term Basic Plan proposed a municipal art museum and commissioned architect Seiichi Shirai for the project in 1978. Shirai placed two stories underground to satisfy the site's ten-meter height restriction, organized natural light around a central atrium and clad the exterior in Korean granite he named kounseki; construction finished in 1980 before the museum opened in October 1981. Continue to Toguri Museum of Art, where Tohru Toguri's collecting developed from postwar concern over disappearing Japanese objects into a specialist concentration on decorative porcelain. Opened in November 1987, the museum holds approximately 7,000 works dominated by Hizen porcelain, particularly Imari and Nabeshima, alongside Chinese and Korean ceramics. Conclude at Nabeshima Shoto Park, preserving ground acquired by the Nabeshima family from the Kishu Tokugawa estate in 1876 and subsequently cultivated as a tea plantation. The family donated the surviving spring-centered tract to Tokyo City in 1932, and the present 5,012-square-meter park retains the pond that survived the estate's transition into residential Shoto. The progression moves from Seiichi Shirai's intensely authored municipal museum through Tohru Toguri's postwar collecting project into surviving Nabeshima estate ground, revealing how architecture, connoisseurship and former daimyo property shaped the cultural territory surrounding Kamiyamacho.

MAKE IT REAL

Foresyte Travel reveals places that feel extraordinary long before you arrive.
Experience premium editorial crafted for luxury travelers.

SEARCH

GET THE APP

Read the Latest:

Daytime aerial view of the Las Vegas Strip with Bellagio Fountains and major resorts.

Itinerary Inspiration

Perfect weekend in Las Vegas

Read now
Illuminated water fountains in front of the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas

Fascinations

Fun facts about Las Vegas

Read now
<< Back to news page
Right Menu Icon