Komaba Museum, Tokyo

Komaba Museum is an intellectually concentrated university museum where Komaba's wooded academic precinct brings fine art, archaeology and natural science together inside one of the University of Tokyo campus's surviving prewar buildings.

Set along the central campus axis near Building No. 1 and just steps from the former Ethics Hall, the museum occupies a restrained institutional building whose symmetrical exterior gives way to exhibition rooms scaled for close engagement with art and scientific collections. Changing exhibitions draw directly from university scholarship, allowing subjects across archaeology, contemporary art, natural history and the sciences to enter the galleries through focused presentations. Permanent holdings deepen that range through artworks, fossils, minerals, insects and scientific instruments assembled across different chapters of the university's educational history. The result is a small academic museum whose disciplinary breadth gives the surrounding Komaba campus an unusually concentrated point of access to the University of Tokyo's artistic and scientific scholarship.

Komaba Museum is best known for uniting the University of Tokyo College Art Museum and College Science Museum inside the former First Higher School library, joining two collections created during the early postwar development of the College of Arts and Sciences. Construction of the library began in March 1934 and finished in February 1935 as First Higher School prepared to occupy Komaba following its relocation from Hongo. The building incorporated a two-story reading room beneath large parabolic arches alongside four levels of book stacks, placing an unusually tall central reading environment inside the school's new academic complex. First Higher School entered a campus whose principal surviving 1930s structures also include Building No. 1, the former Ethics Hall and Building 101, all conceived in architectural forms related to Tokyo Imperial University's Hongo campus. Wartime destruction removed much of the surrounding school complex, leaving those four buildings as rare physical survivors of the First Higher School period. Educational reform brought First Higher School into the University of Tokyo in 1949 as the College of Arts and Sciences was established, and First Higher School formally closed in March 1950. The former library continued serving the College of Arts and Sciences during its early years before later adaptation gave the building an entirely different academic purpose. A major refurbishment culminated in its 2003 reopening as Komaba Museum, placing art and natural science under the same roof inside a building originally constructed for books.

The two constituent museums developed independently before their 2003 consolidation, giving the present institution parallel histories rooted in postwar liberal education. First dean Tadao Yanaihara initiated the College Art Museum, whose inaugural exhibition took place in 1951 and established visual art as part of the College of Arts and Sciences curriculum. Its holdings subsequently expanded across ancient Chinese, Korean and Japanese archaeology, Andean artifacts, replicas connected with Leonardo da Vinci, modern Japanese painting and contemporary art acquired from the 1970s onward. A particularly ambitious undertaking produced a Tokyo version of Marcel Duchamp's The Bride Stripped Bare by Her Bachelors, Even, completed in 1980 and retained on permanent display. The College Science Museum followed in 1953 to support general science education through collections spanning minerals, fossils, insects, plants, experimental apparatus and instruments associated with the introduction of Western science and engineering to Japan. Special exhibitions later extended both branches into public programming tied to research across the College and Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. A Reference Room established in June 2007 added exhibition catalogues from museums and galleries across Japan, broadening the institution's scholarly resources beyond objects displayed in its galleries. Komaba Museum consequently combines two postwar educational initiatives whose separate art and science collections now occupy a single surviving structure from the campus that preceded the modern University of Tokyo system.

Komaba Museum works as the anchor for a daytime progression through aristocratic architecture, modern literary scholarship and the preservation of Japanese craft traditions across Komaba.

Begin at Former Marquis Maeda Main Residence, constructed after Toshinari Maeda, sixteenth head of the former Kaga domain family, transferred his principal residence from Hongo to Komaba through a land exchange connected with reconstruction after the Great Kanto Earthquake. The surviving Western residence and adjoining Japanese residence preserve the scale of an estate created for one of Japan's wealthiest former daimyo families, with the Western house completed in 1929 and the Japanese house following in 1930 as interconnected settings for domestic life and diplomatic hospitality. Continue to Museum of Modern Japanese Literature, established through an effort led by writers and scholars seeking a permanent repository for manuscripts, correspondence, first editions and other sources connected with modern Japanese literary history. The institution opened in 1967 and developed a collection spanning major figures from the Meiji period onward, placing authors' original papers beside publishing history and scholarly resources inside Komaba Park. Conclude at Japan Folk Crafts Museum, founded by Soetsu Yanagi and opened in 1936 as the institutional center of the mingei movement he developed with potters Shoji Hamada and Kanjiro Kawai. Yanagi assembled ceramics, textiles, woodwork, lacquer, metalwork and other objects chosen for the beauty he found in anonymous craft production, and the museum's principal building was constructed specifically to house and interpret that collection. The progression moves from the Maeda family's interwar residential architecture through the preservation of modern literary sources into Soetsu Yanagi's institutional advocacy for Japanese craft, concentrating three different approaches to cultural stewardship within Komaba.

MAKE IT REAL

Foresyte Travel reveals places that feel extraordinary long before you arrive.
Experience premium editorial crafted for luxury travelers.

SEARCH

GET THE APP

Read the Latest:

Daytime aerial view of the Las Vegas Strip with Bellagio Fountains and major resorts.

Itinerary Inspiration

Perfect weekend in Las Vegas

Read now
Illuminated water fountains in front of the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas

Fascinations

Fun facts about Las Vegas

Read now
<< Back to news page
Right Menu Icon