Meguro Fudoson, Tokyo

Meguro Fudoson is an imposing Buddhist sanctuary where Shimomeguro's sloping residential streets open into a wooded precinct layered across terraces, stone stairways and temple courts.

Set along Meguro Fudo Monzen-dori near Yamate-dori and just steps from the former temple approach, the grounds rise sharply from a lower court of smaller halls toward an elevated main sanctuary overlooking the surrounding district. Stone steps, gates, bronze figures and mature trees produce repeated shifts in scale as the precinct climbs toward its upper terrace. Smaller devotional spaces scattered across the hillside reward movement beyond the principal hall, giving the grounds a density that unfolds gradually across multiple levels. The result is a temple whose vertical arrangement and extensive precinct preserve the physical drama of a major religious destination within the contemporary streets of Shimomeguro.

Meguro Fudoson is best known for developing into one of Edo's major Fudo temples under Tokugawa patronage after a religious foundation traditionally attributed to the monk Ennin in 808. Temple tradition places the young Ennin, later known as Jikaku Daishi, at the site during his journey toward Mount Hiei and connects his foundation with an image of Fudo Myoo and the spring remembered as Dokko no Taki. Building repairs occurred in 1557, but a 1615 fire destroyed nearly the entire complex, leaving the principal image and its associated sword among the possessions that survived. A decisive recovery began in 1630 when Ryusenji became affiliated with Ueno Gokokuin and entered a period of shogunal protection. Temple tradition connects that patronage with Tokugawa Iemitsu, whose favored hawk disappeared during a hunt around Meguro and returned after a temple priest offered prayers to Fudo. Iemitsu subsequently supported reconstruction of the lost buildings, initiating an era in which the precinct expanded under the Tokugawa shogunate. The complex eventually reached 53 buildings and drew worshippers across social classes, with a substantial monzen district growing along the approach. Two surviving structures, Maefudo Hall and Seishido Hall, preserve Edo-period Buddhist architecture and now hold cultural-property protection from the Tokyo Metropolitan Government and Meguro City respectively.

Popular pilgrimage turned the surrounding district into a major recreational destination during the later Edo period, linking worship with food, commerce and mass entertainment. Restaurants and souvenir shops crowded the route between Gyoninzaka and the temple gate, with Meguro candy and decorative mochi flowers becoming established local purchases and establishments such as Kadoise and Daikokuya gaining reputations for chestnut rice and bamboo-shoot rice. Another attraction arrived in 1812 when the shogunate authorized tomikuji lottery drawings at the temple. Meguro Fudoson subsequently joined Yushima Tenjin and Yanaka Kannoji among the three celebrated Edo lottery venues, drawing large crowds on drawing days. Published descriptions and prints carried the precinct into Edo popular culture as pilgrimage itself developed into an excursion beyond the dense central city. The temple also became associated with agronomist and rangaku scholar Aoki Konyo, who spent his later years in Shimomeguro after his work promoting sweet-potato cultivation during the eighteenth century; his grave remains behind the precinct. The surviving combination of religious structures, commercial history, lottery culture and Konyo's burial preserves the breadth of social activity that once surrounded one of Edo's principal suburban pilgrimage destinations.

Meguro Fudoson works as the anchor for a daytime progression through early modern Buddhist sculpture, Tokugawa-period popular belief and Meiji-era historical scholarship across Shimomeguro and the Upper Meguro River corridor.

Begin at Gohyaku Rakanji, founded in Honjo in 1695 around the vast sculptural undertaking of monk Shoun Genkei, who began carving rakan figures in 1691 and spent more than a decade producing hundreds of Buddhist statues. Patronage from Keishoin supported the project during the 1690s, and the temple later developed halls for the sculptures alongside a spiral Sazaedo completed in 1780. Flooding, the 1855 Ansei earthquake and an 1856 storm damaged the Honjo complex before relocation brought the institution to Shimomeguro in 1908; 305 surviving sculptures by Shoun now hold Tokyo cultural-property protection. Continue to Banryuji, created at its present location in 1709 from Shomyo-in, a temple founded in 1648 near Gyoninzaka. The new institution followed strict Buddhist precepts still recalled by a boundary stone prohibiting alcohol and other restricted items from entering the precinct, and its seated Amida Nyorai dates to the Heian period and holds Tokyo cultural-property protection. A stone Benzaiten housed inside a grotto also places Banryuji on the Yamate Seven Gods of Fortune route, a pilgrimage already described in the 1838 Toto Saijiki. Conclude at Kume Museum of Art, established in 1982 around historian Kunitake Kume and his son, Western-style painter Keiichiro Kume. Kunitake accompanied the Iwakura Mission through the United States and Europe from 1871 to 1873 and produced the five-volume Bei-O Kairan Jikki in 1878, while Keiichiro studied oil painting under RaphaΓ«l Collin in France, shared a Paris studio with Seiki Kuroda and later joined Kuroda in founding Hakubakai. The progression moves from Shoun Genkei's seventeenth-century sculptural undertaking through Banryuji's Edo religious practice into the Kume family's scholarship and Western-style painting, carrying the outing across three distinct intellectual and artistic traditions surrounding Meguro.

MAKE IT REAL

Foresyte Travel reveals places that feel extraordinary long before you arrive.
Experience premium editorial crafted for luxury travelers.

SEARCH

GET THE APP

Read the Latest:

Daytime aerial view of the Las Vegas Strip with Bellagio Fountains and major resorts.

Itinerary Inspiration

Perfect weekend in Las Vegas

Read now
Illuminated water fountains in front of the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas

Fascinations

Fun facts about Las Vegas

Read now
<< Back to news page
Right Menu Icon