Meiji Memorial Picture Gallery, Tokyo

Meiji Memorial Picture Gallery is a solemn cultural destination where Kasumigaokamachi's broad avenues converge on a domed stone building conceived around the concentrated viewing of large-scale historical painting.

Set along the central axis of Meiji Jingu Gaien near Gaien Higashi-dori and just steps from the long ginkgo avenue, the gallery commands an expansive forecourt whose open geometry makes the approach part of the architectural encounter. Passing beneath the heavy exterior mass leads into a tall central hall before two elongated exhibition wings pull movement in opposite directions through a tightly ordered sequence of immense paintings. Marble surfaces, mosaic flooring and filtered overhead light establish a restrained interior progression in which individual compositions remain visually dominant across the long galleries. The result is an unusually immersive encounter with grand painting inside one of Tokyo's most distinctive purpose-built cultural interiors.

Meiji Memorial Picture Gallery is best known for uniting 80 grand paintings devoted to Emperor Meiji and Empress Shoken with one of Japan's significant early purpose-built art-gallery buildings, creating a chronological visual account spanning the emperor's birth through his death. The Meiji Jingu Support Association established a committee to select painting subjects in May 1917, then commissioned Western-style painter Goseda Horyu II in January 1918 to prepare historical reference drawings for the chosen episodes. An architectural competition announced that June attracted 156 submissions, with Masatsugu Kobayashi's first-prize proposal selected as the basis for a final design revised by the Meiji Jingu construction department. Foundation work began in October 1919, followed by a cornerstone ceremony in October 1921, before the Great Kanto Earthquake halted construction in September 1923 and damaged the building site. Temporary shelters erected amid the construction works accommodated approximately 6,400 earthquake victims, turning the unfinished cultural project into an emergency refuge before building resumed in May 1924. The completed reinforced-concrete structure extended 112 meters east to west and 34 meters north to south, with its central dome reaching 32 meters and Mannari granite from Okayama covering the exterior and exterior stairs. Completion came on October 22, 1926, yet the artistic program remained unfinished for another decade. National Important Cultural Property designation followed in June 2011 in recognition of the building's architectural design and construction techniques, including its shell dome and overhead gallery-lighting system.

The 80-painting cycle developed through a prolonged artistic undertaking that joined historical reconstruction with the work of 76 painters across Japanese and Western traditions. A December 1923 decision divided the sequence into 40 Japanese-style works followed by 40 Western-style paintings, with each composition occupying a surface approximately three meters high and 2.5 to 2.7 meters wide. Artists worked from Goseda Horyu II's reference drawings, subject research prepared by the Meiji Jingu Support Association and field investigations undertaken for individual scenes, then submitted preparatory compositions for collective examination that sometimes produced substantial changes to figures and arrangements. Seven commissioned painters died before finishing their assigned works, helping extend completion of the entire cycle until 1936, roughly a decade after the building itself had been finished. Only five paintings, one Japanese-style work and four Western-style works, were present when the building received its initial public opening on October 23, 1926. The completed cycle received a formal commemorative ceremony in the central hall on April 21, 1936, followed by a visit from Emperor Showa and Empress Kojun on April 20, 1937 before full public opening the next day. Glass photographic plates used during artists' field investigations resurfaced in 2005 alongside two near-full-scale preparatory compositions and dozens of figure studies, exposing part of the elaborate preparatory process behind the finished walls. The 80 paintings consequently represent a twenty-year undertaking in which historical research, large-scale composition and two major schools of modern Japanese painting were organized into a single chronological artistic program.

Meiji Memorial Picture Gallery works as the anchor for a daytime progression through Tokugawa military service, Edo shrine patronage and the changing urban history preserved across nearby Yotsuya.

Begin at Sainenji Temple, founded by Hattori Hanzo in 1593 at Kojimachi Shimizudani as a memorial institution for Tokugawa Ieyasu's eldest son, Matsudaira Nobuyasu, before expansion of Edo Castle forced the temple to its present site in 1634. Hanzo, an Iga commander who had served Ieyasu since his Mikawa years, died in 1596 and was buried at the temple; Sainenji also preserves a spear traditionally associated with a gift from Ieyasu, joining the commander's grave with a surviving object tied to Tokugawa military service. Continue to Ichigaya Kameoka Hachimangu, founded in 1478 when Ota Dokan invited the deity of Kamakura's Tsurugaoka Hachimangu to serve as a protector of Edo Castle. Originally established inside Ichigaya Gate, the shrine moved during the Kan'ei era as castle expansion altered the district, and its surviving cultural properties include Shinjuku's only designated copper torii, a war fan traditionally associated with Dokan, strength stones and monuments connected with later religious practice. Conclude at Shinjuku Historical Museum, where the permanent collection extends from Paleolithic and Jomon archaeology through medieval Ushigome, the Naito-Shinjuku post station, samurai residences, suburban farming communities, modern literature and the rapid expansion surrounding Shinjuku Station during the early Showa period. Reconstructions of an Edo merchant house, a streetcar and a prewar cultural residence place architectural settings beside archaeological objects, maps, photographs and literary holdings, extending the district's chronology into wartime evacuation, the 1945 air raids and postwar urban change. The progression moves from Hattori Hanzo's service to the Tokugawa house through Ota Dokan's fifteenth-century castle patronage into a museum spanning the successive settlements, roads, literature and urban growth that produced modern Shinjuku.

MAKE IT REAL

Foresyte Travel reveals places that feel extraordinary long before you arrive.
Experience premium editorial crafted for luxury travelers.

SEARCH

GET THE APP

Read the Latest:

Daytime aerial view of the Las Vegas Strip with Bellagio Fountains and major resorts.

Itinerary Inspiration

Perfect weekend in Las Vegas

Read now
Illuminated water fountains in front of the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas

Fascinations

Fun facts about Las Vegas

Read now
<< Back to news page
Right Menu Icon