Mitsui Main Building, Tokyo

Mitsui Main Building is an imposing architectural presence where Nihonbashi Muromachi's dense commercial streets meet a disciplined granite exterior whose scale gives an entire city block an almost institutional gravity.

Set along Chuo-dori near Edo Sakura-dori and just steps from Mitsukoshimae Station, the building meets the pavement through a long sequence of deeply recessed openings and massive vertical elements that establish its presence well before the principal entrances come into view. Repeated bays create a measured walking rhythm along the exterior, with changing angles revealing subtle shifts in depth across an otherwise restrained composition. Interior thresholds replace the brightness of the surrounding retail district with darker stone, high ceilings and broad circulation spaces, preserving the sense of entering a building conceived at metropolitan scale. The result is a rare surviving business complex whose physical weight, repetition and controlled ornament make the architecture itself a compelling encounter in Central Nihonbashi.

Mitsui Main Building is best known for concentrating the principal companies of the prewar Mitsui conglomerate within a technologically advanced headquarters conceived as a model for Tokyo's reconstruction after the 1923 Great Kanto Earthquake. Severe damage to its predecessor led Mitsui Gomei president Hachiroemon Takamine Mitsui and managing director Takuma Dan to pursue a replacement capable of surviving an earthquake twice as powerful, with the New York firm Trowbridge & Livingston commissioned for design and James Stewart & Co. responsible for construction. Plans were finalized in October 1925, groundbreaking followed in May 1926 and 964 construction days produced a project costing 21.31 million yen, approximately ten times the prevailing construction cost per tsubo for an ordinary office building. Completion in March 1929 brought Mitsui Gomei, Mitsui Bank, Mitsui Bussan, Mitsui Mining, Mitsui Trust and other affiliated companies into a common headquarters equipped with heating, cooling, ventilation, elevators and pneumatic document tubes. The seven-story building above two basement levels encompassed approximately 32,245 square meters of floor area, and its American Beaux-Arts classical revival design placed immense Corinthian orders across three street elevations. National Important Cultural Property designation followed on December 25, 1998, making the building the first large-scale multi-tenant office building to receive that protection in Japan.

The subterranean banking infrastructure supplied one of the project's most demanding engineering episodes and demonstrates the resources committed to making the headquarters operationally advanced. Mitsui Trust planned safe-deposit and custody services inside the new complex and selected an American Mosler vault whose pair of circular special-steel doors weighed approximately 50 tons. Engineers judged conventional transport across Nihonbashi Bridge unsafe under that load, sending the enormous doors by river before installation on the first basement level. The building subsequently entered national political history on March 5, 1932, when right-wing activist Goro Hishinuma assassinated Takuma Dan at the entrance during the League of Blood Incident. Allied occupation after Japan's 1945 defeat brought another institutional rupture through partial requisition of the headquarters, yet corporate use survived both that intervention and the postwar dissolution of the zaibatsu. Preservation later became integral to redevelopment of the adjoining parcel, where completion of Nihonbashi Mitsui Tower in 2005 used Tokyo's system for balancing development with protection of an Important Cultural Property, earning Mitsui Fudosan and Nihon Sekkei an Architectural Institute of Japan Contribution Prize.

Mitsui Main Building works as the anchor for a daytime progression through medieval religious patronage, Edo road geography and Meiji-era preservation of the Nihonbashi district's older civic landscape.

Begin at Fukutoku Shrine, whose surviving historical accounts place worship on the site between 859 and 876, centuries before Nihonbashi became a metropolitan commercial center. Minamoto no Yoshiie and Ota Dokan appear among the military figures associated with the sanctuary, and Tokugawa Ieyasu visited after entering Edo in August 1590 before returning on subsequent occasions; the alternate Mebuki Inari name developed from a sawtooth oak gate whose spring buds became part of shrine tradition. Continue to Tokiwa Bridge Gate Ruins, where an Edo Castle gateway controlled one of the principal approaches between the shogunal center and the city beyond its moat. The gate occupied a strategic crossing connected with routes toward Oshu and Nikko, and surviving stonework preserves the defensive engineering of the castle perimeter after the superstructure disappeared during the Meiji period. Conclude at Nihonbashi Bridge, the point designated in 1604 as the origin for the shogunate's major highways and subsequently established as the national reference point from which road distances were measured. The present stone bridge replaced earlier timber structures in 1911, preserving that geographic function through the modern transformation of the surrounding district. The progression moves from a sanctuary patronized by medieval warriors and Tokugawa Ieyasu through the fortified edge of Edo Castle into the national road origin at Nihonbashi, establishing the religious, defensive and transportation geography that preceded the district's modern corporate architecture.

MAKE IT REAL

Foresyte Travel reveals places that feel extraordinary long before you arrive.
Experience premium editorial crafted for luxury travelers.

SEARCH

GET THE APP

Read the Latest:

Daytime aerial view of the Las Vegas Strip with Bellagio Fountains and major resorts.

Itinerary Inspiration

Perfect weekend in Las Vegas

Read now
Illuminated water fountains in front of the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas

Fascinations

Fun facts about Las Vegas

Read now
<< Back to news page
Right Menu Icon