Mizuinari Shrine, Tokyo

Mizuinari Shrine is a secluded sacred precinct where Nishi-Waseda's dense university district gives way to wooded slopes, stone approaches and intimate shrine architecture beside the historic landscape of Kansen-en.

Set along the elevated ground west of Waseda near Shin-Mejiro-dori and just steps from Kansen-en Park, the shrine withdraws behind stone gates into a compact compound shaped by pronounced changes in elevation. Narrow paths rise between lanterns, subsidiary sanctuaries and dense trees, producing successive enclosed spaces across a relatively small site. The upper ground creates glimpses through foliage toward surrounding residential blocks before the paths descend again into quieter corners of the precinct. The result is a shrine whose layered terrain and sheltered approaches preserve an unexpectedly secluded sacred environment within the tightly developed streets of Nishi-Waseda.

Mizuinari Shrine is best known for a foundation tradition dating to 941 and for acquiring its present name after a sacred spring transformed the religious reputation of an older Inari sanctuary. Shrine tradition credits Fujiwara no Hidesato with enshrining Inari on a mound at the former site, near present-day Waseda University Building 9, after his campaign against Taira no Masakado. The sanctuary became known as Tomizuka Inari and later Takada Inari, and Uesugi Tomoyoshi restored it in 1501 after a revelatory dream associated with the deity. A spring emerged beneath a large mukunoki tree in 1702 and gained a reputation for healing eye ailments, followed by an oracle connecting the deity with protection from fire. Mizuinari subsequently became the shrine name, and worship spread among groups associated with firefighting and businesses dependent upon water. Shogunal-era sources including Shinpen Musashi Fudoki Ko preserve accounts of the sanctuary, its earlier restorations and its religious relationship with neighboring Hosenji.

Takada Fuji added a separate form of popular mountain worship to the shrine precinct when Takada Toshiro constructed the Fuji mound in 1779. The mound became known as the oldest Fuji-zuka in Edo and drew worshippers seeking a ritual substitute for climbing Mount Fuji, with Edo-period accounts describing annual access during the sixth lunar month and crowds gathering around its ascent. Waseda University's postwar expansion eventually brought the shrine's original ground into the university campus, and a 1963 land exchange transferred Mizuinari Shrine to part of the Kansen-en property owned by the university. The shrine moved during that year, and Takada Fuji was dismantled before being reconstructed at the new precinct beside Kansen-en. Waseda University subsequently completed its Law and Commerce Research Building on the former shrine ground in 1969, leaving a Tomizuka marker near the campus as evidence of the sanctuary's earlier location.

Mizuinari Shrine works as the anchor for a daytime progression through daimyo collecting, Taisho political life and the technological history of printed communication across the neighboring districts of Mejirodai and Otowa.

Begin at Eisei Bunko Museum, established in 1950 by Moritatsu Hosokawa, sixteenth head of a family whose lineage descends through Hosokawa Fujitaka and the rulers of the 540,000-koku Kumamoto domain. The museum occupies an early Showa building originally constructed as an administrative office on the Hosokawa family estate, and its holdings preserve artworks and historical documents accumulated across generations, including tea utensils associated with Tadaoki Hosokawa and a 1577 letter written by Oda Nobunaga. Public exhibitions began in 1972, followed by museum status under the Museum Law in 1973. Continue to Hatoyama Hall, constructed in 1924 as the residence of politician Ichiro Hatoyama through a design by his friend Shinichiro Okada, an architect whose career also produced major institutional buildings during the Taisho and early Showa periods. The Otowa residence later became closely associated with Hatoyama's political career, which culminated in his service as prime minister from 1954 to 1956, and survives through Western-style rooms, stained glass and the family estate overlooking the surrounding district. Conclude at Printing Museum, Tokyo, where approximately 70,000 holdings trace printing across Japan and the wider world through books, movable type, presses and surviving works including the eighth-century Hyakumanto Dharani. Roughly 300 objects appear in the permanent displays, and the Printing House extends the collection into the practice of letterpress production through preserved type and operating equipment. The progression moves from Moritatsu Hosokawa's stewardship of a centuries-old daimyo collection through Ichiro Hatoyama's political residence into the technologies that multiplied written information, carrying the outing across collecting, statecraft and communication.

MAKE IT REAL

Foresyte Travel reveals places that feel extraordinary long before you arrive.
Experience premium editorial crafted for luxury travelers.

SEARCH

GET THE APP

Read the Latest:

Daytime aerial view of the Las Vegas Strip with Bellagio Fountains and major resorts.

Itinerary Inspiration

Perfect weekend in Las Vegas

Read now
Illuminated water fountains in front of the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas

Fascinations

Fun facts about Las Vegas

Read now
<< Back to news page
Right Menu Icon