Shitaya Shrine, Tokyo

Shitaya Shrine is an ancient Shinto sanctuary where Higashi-Ueno's mercantile history, Inari worship, Edo entertainment culture and modern Japanese art converge within a precinct whose lineage reaches to the Nara period.

Set along Shitaya Jinja-dori near Asakusa-dori and just steps from Inaricho Station, the shrine announces itself through a large vermilion torii before opening into a compact precinct centered on its 1934 worship hall. Fox figures and the subsidiary Ryuei Inari Shrine deepen the physical connection to Inari worship, before the worship hall introduces Yokoyama Taikan's large dragon ceiling painting above the religious interior. Passing beneath the torii and into the enclosed grounds places a nearly 1,300-year religious lineage inside a remarkably intimate fragment of Higashi-Ueno. The result is a shrine where ancient worship, Edo popular culture and Taikan's twentieth-century painting remain concentrated within one of eastern Tokyo's most historically layered religious sites.

Shitaya Shrine is best known for preserving Tokyo's oldest Inari tradition, tracing its foundation to 730 when Hazata no Inagi enshrined Ootoshi-no-Kami and Yamato Takeru on Shinobugaoka during the reign of Emperor Shomu. Taira no Masakado's tenth-century rebellion added an early military chapter when Fujiwara no Hidesato prayed at the shrine before campaigning against Masakado and subsequently commissioned a new sanctuary in gratitude for victory. Construction of Kan'ei-ji forced the shrine from Shinobugaoka in 1627, and another relocation in 1680 carried Shitaya Inari to land before Kōtoku-ji whose surrounding settlement acquired the name Inaricho from the sanctuary. Meiji religious administration brought the Shitaya Shrine name in 1872, followed by promotion to the rank of gosha in 1873. The Great Kanto Earthquake destroyed the shrine buildings in 1923, and land readjustment established the present site in 1928 before reconstruction began in 1931 and reached completion in 1934. Shitaya Shrine's foundation, successive relocations, influence on the Inaricho place-name and post-earthquake reconstruction preserve an unusually continuous account of religious geography across thirteen centuries of Tokyo history.

First-generation rakugo performer Sanshotei Karaku established another consequential strand of Shitaya Shrine's cultural history when he staged a five-day public yose engagement in the precinct in June 1798, an event widely treated as the beginning of professional rakugo performance in a permanent public gathering format. The Rakugo Association traces the subsequent proliferation of Edo yose directly from Karaku's 1798 engagement, with more than 170 venues operating across the city before the Meiji Restoration. Masaoka Shiki later connected that entertainment tradition with modern haiku through his 1896 verse about leaving a yose and hearing the bell of Ueno, now commemorated at Shitaya Shrine through a stone inscription. Yokoyama Taikan extended the shrine's artistic associations during the 1934 reconstruction with his 174-by-296-centimeter Unryuzu ceiling painting, using ink, gofun and gold pigment to form a dragon emerging through clouds above the worship hall. Taito City designated Taikan's Unryuzu a Tangible Cultural Property in 2026, joining Karaku's yose legacy and Shiki's verse within a precinct whose contribution to Tokyo culture extends far outside religious worship.

Shitaya Shrine works as the historical anchor for a daytime Higashi-Ueno progression connecting the origins of Kodokan judo, Shin Buddhist culture and the specialized commercial history linking Ueno with Asakusa.

Begin at Eishoji Temple, founded in 1558 by the Shitaya Chōja before moving to its present Higashi-Ueno site in 1637, where its later history acquired international significance through Jigoro Kano. Kano established the first Kodokan dojo inside Eishoji in 1882 with only twelve tatami mats, developing the new discipline of judo from his study of jujutsu and beginning an institution that subsequently carried his educational system throughout Japan and into international sport. Continue to Higashi Honganji Temple, established in Kanda in 1591 before the Great Fire of Meireki drove its relocation to Asakusa in 1657. Katsushika Hokusai depicted the immense temple in Thirty-six Views of Mount Fuji, and the present post-earthquake complex preserves an Amida Nyorai traditionally dated to around 1226 alongside a seventeenth-century bell, connecting the institution's Shin Buddhist history with Edo print culture and surviving religious objects. Conclude at Kappabashi, where secondhand-tool merchants began gathering beside the Shinbori River around 1912 before confectionery-equipment businesses expanded after the Great Kanto Earthquake and the district developed into Japan's largest concentration of kitchen-equipment specialists. The approximately 800-meter commercial corridor now contains roughly 170 businesses, carrying a century of merchant specialization from old tools through restaurant equipment, tableware and food-display craftsmanship. The progression moves from Jigoro Kano's twelve-tatami Kodokan through Higashi Honganji's migration and Hokusai association into Kappabashi's evolution from Shinbori River tool merchants to a specialized commercial district, placing Shitaya Shrine within the religious, cultural and mercantile development that shaped the ground between Ueno and Asakusa.

MAKE IT REAL

Foresyte Travel reveals places that feel extraordinary long before you arrive.
Experience premium editorial crafted for luxury travelers.

SEARCH

GET THE APP

Read the Latest:

Daytime aerial view of the Las Vegas Strip with Bellagio Fountains and major resorts.

Itinerary Inspiration

Perfect weekend in Las Vegas

Read now
Illuminated water fountains in front of the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas

Fascinations

Fun facts about Las Vegas

Read now
<< Back to news page
Right Menu Icon