Hie Shrine, Tokyo

Hie Shrine is a commanding hilltop sanctuary where Nagatacho's political geography, abrupt elevation, distinctive Sanno symbolism and centuries of metropolitan worship rise above the government quarter surrounding the Imperial Palace.

Set along Sanno-zaka near Sotobori-dori and just steps from Tameike-sanno Station, the shrine occupies elevated ground reached from below through several sharply different ceremonial approaches. Sanno Otokozaka climbs 53 stone steps from its principal torii, preserving a steep processional ascent used during major shrine rites. The western approach passes beneath a dense sequence of vermilion torii, and another entrance pairs a white Sanno torii with escalators climbing the hillside. The result is a sanctuary whose approaches transform Nagatacho's natural elevation into a succession of ceremonial thresholds before the principal precinct appears above the surrounding streets.

Hie Shrine is best known for a religious lineage that became inseparable from Edo Castle and the Tokugawa shogunate. The Edo clan worshipped a Sanno deity during the Kamakura period, establishing a predecessor to the institution that later gained metropolitan importance. Ota Dokan invited the deity from Kawagoe to Edo Castle in 1478 as a guardian during his development of the fortress. Tokugawa Ieyasu made Edo Castle his seat in 1590 and revered the sanctuary as a protector of the Tokugawa house and the wider city. Major reconstruction under Tokugawa Hidetada moved the shrine from Momijiyama inside the castle to Hayabusacho in 1607, opening worship to the broader population of Edo. The Great Fire of Meireki destroyed that complex in 1657, and Tokugawa Ietsuna rebuilt the shrine on its present Hoshigaoka ground in 1659. Gongen-zukuri connected the offering hall, worship hall and inner sanctuary within the new architectural complex, whose principal structures later received National Treasure protection. Wartime bombing destroyed those buildings in 1945, and contributions from parishioners and worshippers financed completion of the present sanctuary in 1958.

Tokugawa patronage survives with exceptional clarity inside the shrine treasury. Thirty-one swords remain in the collection, including one National Treasure, 14 Important Cultural Properties and one Important Art Object, with numerous blades entering the sanctuary through visits by shoguns and their heirs. The National Treasure tachi signed Norimune was donated on June 6, 1646 during the first shrine visit of Tokugawa Tokumatsu, the fourth son of Iemitsu and future fifth shogun Tokugawa Tsunayoshi. Norimune worked during the early Kamakura period and became the progenitor of the Fukuoka Ichimonji school, giving the Tokugawa donation an artistic history reaching centuries beyond Edo rule. Tsunayoshi later presented a tachi by Kunitsuna during the first festival after his proclamation as shogun in 1681, and Tokugawa Ieharu donated the Important Cultural Property tachi by Morikage during his own proclamation visit in 1760. Shogunal red-seal grants chart another measure of institutional power: Ieyasu supplied five koku of shrine land, Hidetada raised the holding to 100 koku and Iemitsu expanded the total to 600 koku in 1635. Those 600 koku included land in Azabu, Horinouchi, Asagaya and Amanuma, distributing the shrine's economic base across several parts of Edo and its western hinterland. The treasury building itself followed the 500th anniversary commemoration of the shrine's establishment inside Edo Castle in 1978 and now preserves these weapons beside other objects connected with the Tokugawa house.

Hie Shrine works as the anchor for a daytime progression through the architecture of Japanese parliamentary government, a museum devoted to the development of constitutional politics and a Neo-Baroque palace created for the imperial household before becoming Japan's principal reception complex for foreign dignitaries.

Begin at National Diet Building, where construction started in January 1920 and consumed nearly 17 years before completion in November 1936. A nationwide competition held in 1918 supplied the basis for the design, and approximately 2.54 million workers participated across the construction campaign. The steel-reinforced-concrete building extends 206.36 meters north to south, contains 53,464 square meters of total floor area and rises 65.45 meters at its central tower. Its Central Hall reaches 32.62 meters beneath that tower and contains bronze statues of Hirobumi Ito, Taisuke Itagaki and Shigenobu Okuma, three figures associated with Japan's parliamentary development. Continue to Kensei Kinenkan, established to commemorate the 80th anniversary of Japan's parliamentary system and opened in March 1972. The institution incorporated the legacy of the 1960 Yukio Ozaki Memorial Hall, built by the Yukio Ozaki Memorial Foundation and donated to the House of Representatives. Its ground carries a much older political chronology: Kato Kiyomasa maintained an estate there, the Hikone domain later occupied the property, Ii Naosuke lived there near the end of the shogunate and the Army General Staff and Ministry of the Army followed during the Meiji period. Conclude at State Guest House, Akasaka Palace, completed in 1909 as the Crown Prince's Palace under architect Tokuma Katayama. The Neo-Baroque building later underwent extensive restoration as Japan expanded its postwar diplomatic role and reopened in 1974 as the State Guest House for foreign heads of state and other official guests. Public access expanded in the twenty-first century, bringing a building conceived for the imperial household into a new civic role alongside its continuing diplomatic function. The progression moves from the architecture of parliamentary government through the preservation of constitutional history into the ceremonial architecture of international diplomacy, tracing three institutions through which modern Japan represented political authority at home and abroad.

MAKE IT REAL

Foresyte Travel reveals places that feel extraordinary long before you arrive.
Experience premium editorial crafted for luxury travelers.

SEARCH

GET THE APP

Read the Latest:

Daytime aerial view of the Las Vegas Strip with Bellagio Fountains and major resorts.

Itinerary Inspiration

Perfect weekend in Las Vegas

Read now
Illuminated water fountains in front of the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas

Fascinations

Fun facts about Las Vegas

Read now
<< Back to news page
Right Menu Icon