Hisago-dori, Tokyo

Hisago-dori is a nostalgic corridor where Asakusa's entertainment heritage, neighborhood commerce, traditional craftsmanship and early twentieth-century streetmaking converge beneath an arcade extending north from the former Rokku theater district.

Running through Asakusa between Rokku and Senzoku, the corridor extends approximately 180 meters from the entertainment quarter toward Kototoi-dori, with roughly 50 businesses occupying its compact commercial frontage. The Japanese-style arcade creates a distinct transition between Rokku's broad entertainment streets and the longer Senzoku commercial axis continuing north toward the former Yoshiwara district. Shops specializing in footwear, festival goods, clothing and food preserve trades associated with older neighborhood commerce alongside newer businesses. The result is a corridor where the commercial scale of prewar Asakusa remains unusually legible within the contemporary city.

Hisago-dori is best known for developing from the reconstruction of northern Asakusa after the 1923 Great Kanto Earthquake, when land readjustment reorganized streets around the former Asakusa Park entertainment district. Road improvements undertaken with money supplied by merchants along the route followed the 1924 reorganization, creating the foundation for a formally organized shopping street. The Hisago-dori name arrived in 1925 and referred to Hyotan Pond, the gourd-shaped body of water formerly occupying part of Asakusa Park; hisago is an older Japanese word for a gourd. That association connected the new commercial avenue with a landscape created during the development of Asakusa Park, where entertainment, amusement businesses and theaters had expanded dramatically from the late nineteenth century. Before the earthquake, the route near Ryounkaku was also known as Yonekyu-dori after the long-established beef restaurant Yonekyu, demonstrating how individual businesses supplied local street names before formal reconstruction fixed Hisago-dori onto the map.

Asakusa Park's transformation began in 1873 when the Meiji government designated the Sensoji precincts as public parkland, creating the administrative foundation for the entertainment district that subsequently surrounded Hisago-dori. The park was reorganized into six sections in 1884, with the western territory developing into Asakusa Rokku and acquiring theaters, cinemas and other entertainment businesses over succeeding decades. Ryounkaku intensified that growth after opening in 1890, its twelve-story tower becoming a defining component of the commercial district until the 1923 earthquake damaged the structure and prompted its demolition. The street rebuilt beside that vanished entertainment landscape subsequently retained neighborhood merchants even as Rokku's theater economy contracted during the television era, allowing Hisago-dori to carry the commercial inheritance of Asakusa Park beyond the institutions that originally generated its crowds.

Hisago-dori works as the anchor for an afternoon tracing traditional craft production, twentieth-century popular entertainment and Meiji literature through institutions surrounding northern Asakusa.

Begin at Taiko Drum Museum, established by Miyamoto Unosuke Shoten, whose lineage began in 1861 and developed through the manufacture of drums, festival equipment and instruments for institutions including Kabukiza, the National Theatre and National Noh Theatre. The company supplied an eight-meter ceremonial kaen-daiko installation for the opening ceremony of the 1964 Tokyo Olympics and has produced Asakusa Shrine's principal Sanja Matsuri mikoshi since 1950. Its museum extends that craft lineage internationally through a collection of drums from Japan, Asia, Africa, Europe and the Americas. Continue to Asakusa Engei Hall, opened in August 1964 on the upper floors of a building whose entertainment history began with Asakusa France-za in 1951 and expanded through Toyo Theater in 1959. Kiyoshi Atsumi developed his comedy there before performers including Kinichi Hagimoto followed, and Takeshi Kitano worked as an elevator operator in the building before his own entertainment career. The rakugo hall moved downstairs after Toyo Theater closed in 1971 and remains one of Tokyo's permanent yose, continuing a performance lineage that also included Bunraku Katsura, Shinsho Kokontei and Ensho Sanyutei. Conclude at Ichiyo Memorial Museum, opened in Ryusen in 1961 as Japan's first literary museum devoted solely to a female writer. Ichiyo Higuchi lived in Ryusenji-cho for approximately nine months while operating a small household-goods and confectionery shop, drawing upon the surrounding district for Takekurabe before producing Nigorie, Jusanya and other works during a career ended by her death at 24. Local residents formed the Ichiyo Kyosankai to preserve that literary inheritance, and the museum now holds handwritten drafts, letters and poetry connected with Higuchi's life and writing. The progression moves from Miyamoto Unosuke Shoten's nineteenth-century festival craftsmanship through a postwar theater that nurtured major entertainers and onward to the Ryusen world transformed by Ichiyo Higuchi into literature, connecting three creative traditions that developed around northern Asakusa.

MAKE IT REAL

Foresyte Travel reveals places that feel extraordinary long before you arrive.
Experience premium editorial crafted for luxury travelers.

SEARCH

GET THE APP

Read the Latest:

Daytime aerial view of the Las Vegas Strip with Bellagio Fountains and major resorts.

Itinerary Inspiration

Perfect weekend in Las Vegas

Read now
Illuminated water fountains in front of the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas

Fascinations

Fun facts about Las Vegas

Read now
<< Back to news page
Right Menu Icon