Kannana-dori, Tokyo

Kannana-dori is a metropolitan corridor where Koenji's postwar urban expansion, western Tokyo's radial highways, railway crossings and outer-ring infrastructure converge along an avenue conceived to redirect movement around the increasingly congested center of the capital.

Running through Koenji between Nakano and Asagaya, the broad corridor crosses the Chuo-Sobu Line before meeting Ome-kaido and continuing through Suginami toward Nerima, with its southern alignment extending through Setagaya and Ota toward Tokyo Bay. Major radial routes repeatedly intersect the road across its metropolitan course, creating an outer circulation axis through districts developed extensively during the twentieth century. Tokyo designates the underlying avenue as Metropolitan Route 318 Ring Road No. 7, with the Kannana name compressing Kanjo Nanagosen, or Ring Road No. 7, into the form used across the city. The result is a corridor whose scale belongs to the period when Tokyo's expanding outer wards demanded infrastructure capable of carrying metropolitan movement.

Kannana-dori is best known for emerging from a circumferential-road concept conceived in 1927 and requiring fifty-eight years to achieve a continuous metropolitan alignment. Construction accelerated dramatically during preparations for the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, when Tokyo treated Ring Road No. 7 as part of the road program needed to move athletes and officials between Haneda Airport and competition facilities, with contemporary metropolitan photographs preserving grade-separation construction underway in 1963. Olympic-era investment pushed substantial southern and western sections into service, establishing the avenue as one of the principal pieces of infrastructure associated with Tokyo's rapid reengineering during the high-growth period. Northern and eastern gaps survived long after the Games, leaving the ring incomplete as development continued around the planned route. Aoto Bridge supplied the final connection on January 17, 1985, when the remaining section between Aoto 8-chome in Katsushika and the Okudo overpass entered service. Completion closed a 58-year sequence between the original 1927 conception and a continuous Ring Road No. 7, carrying an interwar planning idea through Olympic construction and into the mature automobile metropolis of the 1980s.

The Kanda River-Ring Road No. 7 Underground Regulating Reservoir gave the avenue an entirely different metropolitan function when Tokyo began the first construction phase beneath Suginami in 1988. A two-kilometer tunnel entered operation from the Kanda River in April 1997 with capacity for approximately 240,000 cubic meters of floodwater, placing a major hydraulic installation beneath a road already carrying surface traffic across western Tokyo. Second-phase construction extended the tunnel another 2.5 kilometers and connected intake facilities on the Zenpukuji and Myoshoji rivers, bringing total storage to roughly 540,000 cubic meters within a 4.5-kilometer tunnel approximately 40 to 50 meters underground. September 2005 demonstrated the installation's importance when exceptional rainfall led operators to divert approximately 420,000 cubic meters into the completed and still-under-construction sections during flooding that damaged roughly 3,600 properties elsewhere in Nakano and Suginami. By March 2018 the reservoir had accepted floodwater on more than forty occasions, and Typhoon Hagibis in 2019 filled roughly 90 percent of its capacity with approximately 490,000 cubic meters. A road planned around twentieth-century automobile circulation consequently acquired a second life as the roof of one of Tokyo's major flood-control systems, joining surface transportation with a hydraulic tunnel protecting the Kanda River basin far below Kannana-dori.

Kannana-dori works as the anchor for a daytime exploration tracing village religion, military meteorology and the survival of an older Suginami place name through Koenji and neighboring Asagaya.

Begin at Koenji Tenso Shrine, whose traditional foundation reaches 1087, when local resident Yamashita Kyushichi returned from Ise Jingu with a divided spirit of Amaterasu and established a temporary sanctuary in the village. Local worshippers adopted the shrine as an ubusuna sanctuary in 1096, and the surviving complex preserves a worship hall dating to 1831 alongside sanctuary structures rebuilt in 1888. Continue to Koenji Hikawa Shrine, associated with the former village from at least the sixteenth century and later designated a village shrine in 1874. Its grounds acquired an exceptional postwar addition through Kisho Jinja, originally established inside the Imperial Japanese Army Meteorological Department in former Mabashi 4-chome and transferred to Hikawa Shrine after World War II, preserving a direct institutional connection between military weather observation and contemporary religious practice. Conclude at Mabashi Inari Shrine, whose local tradition places its foundation near the end of the Kamakura period and whose history became closely bound to the former Mabashi village. Fifty-three household heads contributed funds in 1831 to petition Kyoto's Shirakawa house for the divine title Shoichii Taruho Inari Daimyojin, granted the following year; four village shrines were consolidated there in 1907. The disappearance of Mabashi as an official place name under the 1965 address reorganization prompted adoption of the Mabashi Inari name, deliberately preserving a district designation divided among Umezato, Koenji and Asagaya. The progression moves from an Ise-derived sanctuary established within medieval Koenji through a weather shrine transplanted from an Imperial Japanese Army institution and onward to Mabashi Inari's preservation of a vanished village name, revealing older layers of worship, military science and local geography beside Kannana-dori.

MAKE IT REAL

Foresyte Travel reveals places that feel extraordinary long before you arrive.
Experience premium editorial crafted for luxury travelers.

SEARCH

GET THE APP

Read the Latest:

Daytime aerial view of the Las Vegas Strip with Bellagio Fountains and major resorts.

Itinerary Inspiration

Perfect weekend in Las Vegas

Read now
Illuminated water fountains in front of the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas

Fascinations

Fun facts about Las Vegas

Read now
<< Back to news page
Right Menu Icon