Kinshicho Station, Tokyo

Kinshicho Station is a kinetic rail gateway where Kinshicho's working-class history, eastern Tokyo entertainment culture, regional significance and century-spanning role between Central Tokyo and Chiba converge around one of Sumida's principal transportation nodes.

Set along Yotsume-dori near Keiyo-doro and just steps from Kinshi Park, the station occupies the urban center that developed eastward from the original 1894 Honjo terminus as rail traffic, commerce and entertainment progressively reorganized the surrounding district. Elevated JR tracks carry the Chuo-Sobu and Sobu Rapid services above street level, and the Tokyo Metro Hanzomon Line passes beneath the district on its route between Central Tokyo and Oshiage. Crossing between the north and south sides reveals two distinct chapters of Kinshicho's development, with the 1961 station-building complex facing the older entertainment quarter and the northern frontage opening toward the large-scale redevelopment completed during the 1990s. The result is a station where more than 130 years of railway expansion remain legible in the commercial, cultural and architectural growth that accumulated around its tracks.

Kinshicho Station is best known for beginning on December 9, 1894 as Honjo Station, the Tokyo terminus of the private Sobu Railway when its tracks reached westward from Sakura through Chiba into the eastern capital. The company reinforced that terminus in 1895 with the Honjo Works and a locomotive depot, placing railway maintenance beside passenger operations during the first major phase of the district's industrial development. Sobu Railway pushed farther west to Ryogoku in 1904, ending Honjo's decade as the line's terminal before nationalization transferred the railway to the Japanese state in 1907. The station acquired the Kinshicho name on May 1, 1915, tying the railway more closely to the district that had expanded around it. The Great Kanto Earthquake devastated the station in 1923 and prompted railway authorities to transfer the works and locomotive depot to Shin-Koiwa during reconstruction. Another rupture arrived with the March 10, 1945 Tokyo air raid, which destroyed the station building amid the wider devastation of eastern Tokyo. Reconstruction placed the station at its present location in 1949, completing a half-century progression from private suburban terminus through national railway junction, earthquake destruction and wartime loss into the transportation anchor around which postwar Kinshicho expanded.

Postwar growth brought a second transformation through increasingly ambitious connections between the railway and the commercial city surrounding it. Kinshicho Kotsu Kaikan was established in 1960 before the first phase of Eki Building Kinshicho opened above the south side on November 28, 1961; the complete building followed in 1962 and acquired the Termina name in 1972. The railway itself changed decisively on July 15, 1972, when the Sobu Rapid Line opened between Tokyo and Kinshicho, establishing the station as the point where rapid services emerging from the underground Tokyo approach joined the existing Sobu corridor toward Chiba. LaGirl extended station-linked development to the north side in 1980, preceding JR East's investment in the station-building company in 1991 and its absorption of Kinshicho Terminal Development in 1997. The Hanzomon Line reached Kinshicho on March 19, 2003, adding an underground north-south connection to a station whose rail history had previously developed around the east-West Sobu axis. Termina's progression from its 1961 first phase through the Sobu Rapid Line, northern expansion and Hanzomon Line connection traces how Kinshicho Station evolved from a reconstructed postwar railway facility into a multilayered eastern Tokyo interchange.

Kinshicho Station works as the anchor for a daytime progression through orchestral culture, Edo-period artistic memory and Tokyo's modern engagement with its own urban history.

Begin at Sumida Triphony Hall, whose origins grew from Sumida Ward's 1988 plan to develop the district through music after the success of the 5,000-person Beethoven Ninth concerts at Ryogoku Kokugikan. The hall was completed in May 1997 as part of the northern Kinshicho redevelopment, and the New Japan Philharmonic first tested the room on May 9 under Seiji Ozawa with Mozart's The Magic Flute overture, Beethoven's Egmont overture and Ravel's BolΓ©ro before establishing the building as its home. Continue to Sumida Hokusai Museum, built on the former Edo-period residence of the Tsugaru clan of Hirosaki, where local tradition connects Katsushika Hokusai with a horse painted on a folding screen for the feudal lord. Kazuyo Sejima designed the museum as several interlocking volumes clad in reflective aluminum, connecting a site associated with Hokusai to the architect who co-founded SANAA with Ryue Nishizawa and shared the 2010 Pritzker Prize. Conclude at Edo-Tokyo Museum, where Kiyonori Kikutake designed a 62.2-meter-high structure for an institution established to examine approximately four centuries of the capital's development from Tokugawa Ieyasu's entry into Edo onward. Tokyo acquired the former Japanese National Railways land at Ryogoku in 1988, construction began in 1989 and the museum opened on March 28, 1993, bringing the study of the metropolis onto ground whose own transition from railway property to cultural institution formed part of late-twentieth-century Tokyo. The progression moves from Sumida's 1988 music initiative through Hokusai's Edo-period association with the Tsugaru residence into Kiyonori Kikutake's museum devoted to four centuries of metropolitan change, connecting Kinshicho Station with the artistic and urban history extending westward through Sumida.

MAKE IT REAL

Foresyte Travel reveals places that feel extraordinary long before you arrive.
Experience premium editorial crafted for luxury travelers.

SEARCH

GET THE APP

Read the Latest:

Daytime aerial view of the Las Vegas Strip with Bellagio Fountains and major resorts.

Itinerary Inspiration

Perfect weekend in Las Vegas

Read now
Illuminated water fountains in front of the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas

Fascinations

Fun facts about Las Vegas

Read now
<< Back to news page
Right Menu Icon