Ryogoku Kokugikan, Tokyo

Ryogoku Kokugikan is a commanding arena where Yokoami's sumo heritage, ceremonial performance, immense crowd energy and distinctive sporting architecture converge within the modern home of Japan's national sport.

Set beside JR Ryogoku Station near the Sumida River and just steps from the streets historically associated with sumo stables, the arena rises beneath a broad green roof whose pyramidal profile encloses a vast interior organized around the elevated dohyō and concentric tiers of box and chair seating. Entering the main hall brings the suspended tsuriyane into immediate focus above the ring, concentrating the enormous volume of the building around the compact clay platform where each bout unfolds. Masu box seating preserves a distinctive relationship between spectators and competition across the lower level, with upper galleries extending the crowd vertically beneath the exposed roof structure. The result is an arena whose scale, geometry and ceremonial center give professional sumo a physical setting commensurate with its centuries of ritual and sporting tradition.

Ryogoku Kokugikan is best known for restoring professional sumo's principal Tokyo arena to Ryogoku, the district where Tatsuno Kingo and Kasai Manji designed the first permanent Kokugikan in 1909 after generations of tournaments staged in temporary structures at temples and shrines. Construction of that original arena began in 1906 to free major tournaments from weather delays, producing a vast domed building whose scale had few precedents among contemporary sporting halls. Novelist Emi Suiin supplied the phrase describing sumo as Japan's national sport that inspired elder Oitekaze to select the Kokugikan name shortly before the inaugural tournament. Professional sumo eventually shifted to Kuramae Kokugikan, completed in 1954, where the Sumo Museum simultaneously emerged from the collection assembled by inaugural director Tadamasa Sakai to prevent the dispersal of historical sumo objects. The Japan Sumo Association decided during the early 1980s to return its principal arena to Ryogoku, selecting ground close to the district associated with the earlier Kokugikan and breaking ground on April 27, 1983. Association chairman Kasugano, the 44th yokozuna Tochinishiki, performed the ceremonial groundbreaking as yokozuna Kitanoumi and Chiyonofuji conducted a ring-entering ceremony for the construction rites. January 1985 brought professional sumo back to Ryogoku, and the Sumo Museum moved with it, carrying Sakai's collection of nishiki-e prints, banzuke ranking sheets and kesho-mawashi into the new arena. The first Kokugikan, Kuramae period, Sakai collection and return to Ryogoku establish the present arena as the latest institutional home in a century-long effort to give professional sumo a permanent architectural center.

Kajima Corporation and Takashi Sugiyama Architect & Associates developed the present building around a structural problem created by sumo itself: an unobstructed arena required an enormous roof without columns interrupting sightlines toward the dohyō. Their solution used a steel space frame weighing approximately 1,700 metric tons beneath a truncated pyramidal roof roughly 94 meters square, carrying the load across a hall rising to a maximum height of approximately 39.5 meters. A construction period of only 20 months delivered approximately 35,700 square meters across three levels above ground and two basement levels, with the Japan Sumo Association placing the current tournament capacity at 11,098 seats. Movable first-floor masu seating and a removable ring allow the central floor to change configuration outside the 45 annual days devoted to Tokyo honbasho, supporting professional wrestling, boxing, concerts and other events. The suspended tsuriyane above the dohyō continues a separate technical change introduced to professional sumo in 1952, when the four structural pillars surrounding the ring were eliminated and replaced by a roof suspended from above with four colored tassels marking their former positions. Kajima's space frame, movable arena floor and suspended tsuriyane combine modern structural engineering with a competition format whose ceremonial architecture remains immediately recognizable as sumo.

Ryogoku Kokugikan works as the anchor for a daytime progression through daimyo landscape design, metropolitan remembrance and Katsushika Hokusai's artistic relationship with the eastern districts of Edo.

Begin at Kyu Yasuda Garden, where Honjo Munesuke received the property as a lower residence in 1701 and developed a strolling garden centered on a heart-shaped pond once supplied from the Sumida River, allowing tidal changes to alter its water level. Yasuda Zenjiro acquired the estate in 1891, and his family donated the house and garden to Tokyo City in 1922; reconstruction followed devastating damage during the Great Kanto Earthquake before the garden entered public use in 1927. Continue to Yokoamicho Park, where the former Army Clothing Depot site became the scene of catastrophic loss after thousands sought refuge there during the Great Kanto Earthquake on September 1, 1923 and fire swept through accumulated household possessions. Tokyo Memorial Hall, designed by Ito Chuta in reinforced concrete with Japanese religious architectural forms, was completed in 1930 to house the remains of approximately 58,000 earthquake victims; the precinct later incorporated remembrance of the 1945 Tokyo air raids and now commemorates both disasters. Conclude at Sumida Hokusai Museum, dedicated to Katsushika Hokusai in the ward where the ukiyo-e master spent much of his life and designed by Pritzker Prize-winning architect Kazuyo Sejima. Sejima divided the four-story structure with diagonal slits and clad its exterior in lightly mirrored aluminum panels, creating multiple approaches through a building standing on the former Tsugaru clan daimyo residence where Hokusai once produced a painted screen for the domain lord. The progression moves from Honjo Munesuke's tidal garden through Ito Chuta's architecture of metropolitan remembrance into Kazuyo Sejima's museum on ground directly associated with Hokusai, connecting three distinct chapters of Ryogoku's landscape, civic and artistic history around Ryogoku Kokugikan.

MAKE IT REAL

Foresyte Travel reveals places that feel extraordinary long before you arrive.
Experience premium editorial crafted for luxury travelers.

SEARCH

GET THE APP

Read the Latest:

Daytime aerial view of the Las Vegas Strip with Bellagio Fountains and major resorts.

Itinerary Inspiration

Perfect weekend in Las Vegas

Read now
Illuminated water fountains in front of the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas

Fascinations

Fun facts about Las Vegas

Read now
<< Back to news page
Right Menu Icon