Kokugakuin University, Tokyo

Kokugakuin University is a distinctive academic enclave where Higashi's quieter eastern slopes contain a campus built around Japanese scholarship, university life and a strong visual separation from the commercial intensity of Central Shibuya.

Set along the upper streets of Higashi near Roppongi-dori and just steps from the Tokiwa-Matsu area, the Shibuya campus unfolds through interconnected academic buildings, planted terraces and pedestrian courts that compress a substantial university environment into a dense urban site. Contemporary glass, concrete and stone surfaces establish a restrained architectural character, with internal passages repeatedly opening toward courtyards and elevated outdoor areas. Publicly accessible academic facilities give the campus unusual depth for an urban university, allowing movement through spaces devoted to scholarship without requiring the ceremonial scale associated with older collegiate precincts. The result is an institution whose physical concentration and scholarly atmosphere expose a quieter intellectual layer of Shibuya rarely apparent from the district's principal commercial streets.

Kokugakuin University is best known for tracing its academic lineage to Koten Kokyusho, established in Iidamachi in 1882 for the study of Japanese classical literature and Shinto during the rapid modernization that followed the Meiji Restoration. Prince Arisugawa Takahito became the first Controller General, having previously served as Emperor Meiji's calligraphy instructor and written the official copy of the Charter Oath. Classes began on September 1, 1882, and the opening ceremony followed on November 4, when Prince Arisugawa delivered the proclamation that supplied the basis for the institution's founding philosophy. Kokugakuin emerged inside Koten Kokyusho in 1890 as an educational institution centered on Japanese history, literature and law, then advanced under the government technical-college ordinance in 1904. The name Shiritsu Kokugakuin University appeared in 1906, followed by Kokugakuin University in 1919 and university status under the University Ordinance on April 15, 1920. Kokugakuin shared that 1920 wave of recognition with institutions including Keio, Waseda, Meiji, Chuo, Nihon, Hosei, Rikkyo and Doshisha, placing its elevation inside a consequential expansion of Japan's private university sector. Rising enrollment had already prompted planning for a larger campus beginning in 1918, and a new complex was completed on imperial property in Shibuya in May 1923. Classes began there in June, only months before the Great Kanto Earthquake damaged the buildings that September; repairs were completed the following year. The university has occupied the same Shibuya site since that move, giving its present campus a direct institutional lineage extending across more than a century of education in Higashi.

Academic specialization developed alongside that institutional growth through scholars and research organizations that established Kokugakuin as an important center for Japanese studies. Anthropologist Shogoro Tsuboi of Tokyo Imperial University began teaching anthropology there in 1910, and archaeologist Kenji Takahashi of the Tokyo Imperial Household Museum took responsibility for archaeology instruction the following year. Anthropologist Ryuzo Torii joined the faculty in 1923 and founded the Jodai Bunka Kenkyukai in 1926, the organization that developed into the present Kokugakuin University Archaeological Society. Archaeologist Kiyoyuki Higuchi established an Archaeology Exhibition Room in 1928, creating an institutional repository for objects used in teaching and research. A separate Shinto resource room followed in 1963, and successive reorganizations eventually brought the archaeological and Shinto holdings together with university historical assets. The present Kokugakuin University Museum emerged in 2013 from those predecessor organizations, with permanent sections devoted to archaeology, Shinto and university history. Archaeological holdings support study of the Japanese archipelago from prehistoric communities through later religious practice, and the Shinto section examines ritual objects and shrine traditions across Japan. The university also maintains the Institute for Japanese Culture and Classics, Academic Resource Centers for archaeology and Shinto, the University History and Academic Asset Research Center and the Center for Kojiki Studies, extending an academic specialization whose institutional origins reach directly to the 1882 Koten Kokyusho.

Kokugakuin University works as the anchor for a daytime progression through Nihonga collecting, early Showa collegiate architecture and postwar artistic production across Hiroo, Aoyama and Minami-Aoyama.

Begin at Yamatane Museum of Art, founded in 1966 by securities executive Taneji Yamazaki from his private collection as Japan's first museum specializing in Nihonga. Yamazaki established Yamatane Securities and assembled works by modern Japanese painters before placing the collection before the public, and his son Tomiji subsequently expanded its depth through the acquisition of 105 works by Hayami Gyoshu. The institution now centers its exhibitions on modern and contemporary Nihonga, with Yokoyama Taikan, Takeuchi Seiho, Uemura Shoen and Gyoshu among the artists represented in its collection. Continue to Majima Memorial Hall, completed at Aoyama Gakuin in 1929 as a reinforced-concrete academic building organized around a Neo-Renaissance composition. Its northern facade places arched openings beneath Corinthian columns and a pediment modeled on a Roman temple, with elongated windows and a dentilled cornice extending the composition across the wings. Alterations followed in 1955 and 1976, and national authorities entered the building in the Register of Tangible Cultural Properties in 2008 as a surviving component of the early Showa campus. Conclude at Taro Okamoto Memorial Museum, occupying the Minami-Aoyama home and studio where Taro Okamoto worked from 1954 until his death in 1996. Junzo Sakakura, who had worked in Le Corbusier's Paris atelier, designed the postwar studio after bombing destroyed the Okamoto family's earlier residence, and Toshiko Okamoto preserved the property before its conversion into a museum in 1998. Okamoto developed projects including Tower of the Sun during his decades there, tying the surviving studio directly to one of postwar Japan's most consequential artistic careers. The progression moves from Taneji Yamazaki's commitment to modern Japanese painting through Aoyama Gakuin's 1929 collegiate architecture into Junzo Sakakura's studio for Taro Okamoto, carrying the outing across collecting, architecture and artistic production in eastern Shibuya and Aoyama.

MAKE IT REAL

Foresyte Travel reveals places that feel extraordinary long before you arrive.
Experience premium editorial crafted for luxury travelers.

SEARCH

GET THE APP

Read the Latest:

Daytime aerial view of the Las Vegas Strip with Bellagio Fountains and major resorts.

Itinerary Inspiration

Perfect weekend in Las Vegas

Read now
Illuminated water fountains in front of the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas

Fascinations

Fun facts about Las Vegas

Read now
<< Back to news page
Right Menu Icon