Konno Hachimangu Shrine, Tokyo

Konno Hachimangu Shrine is an atmospheric sanctuary where Shibuya's glass towers and dense commercial streets abruptly recede behind a compact precinct of stone paving, mature trees and richly ornamented shrine architecture.

Set along Hachiman-dori near Roppongi-dori and just steps from the eastern approaches to Shibuya Station, the precinct rises gently behind its entrance into a sequence of gates, subsidiary structures and shaded devotional courts removed from the surrounding office blocks. Vermilion architectural accents, carved wooden surfaces and old trees give the central court a visual density that rewards slow movement around the sanctuary. Smaller devotional structures extend the encounter beyond the principal worship hall, allowing the precinct to reveal distinct architectural compositions from several angles. The result is a shrine whose enclosed scale and striking separation from contemporary Shibuya make the surviving religious precinct feel unusually self-contained within the district.

Konno Hachimangu Shrine is best known for preserving the medieval origins of the Shibuya clan through a foundation traditionally dated to 1092 and its association with the warrior Shibuya Konnomaru Tsunemitsu. Shrine history traces the lineage to Taira no Takeki, whose son Taketsuna and grandson Shigeie joined Minamoto no Yoshiie during the Later Three Years' War of 1083 to 1087 and participated in the attack on Kanazawa Stockade with more than 300 mounted warriors. Victory brought the family control of Musashi Yachimori Manor, and the shrine tradition connects Yoshiie with the enshrinement of Hachiman at the present site on January 15, 1092. Shigeie subsequently received the Shibuya surname from Emperor Horikawa after defeating intruders at the imperial palace, then established his residence around the shrine as the clan developed authority over the surrounding territory. His son Konnomaru was born in 1141 after Shigeie and his wife prayed at the sanctuary for an heir, and shrine tradition places the young warrior in Minamoto no Yoshitomo's service during the Hogen Rebellion before his later association with the name Tosabo Shoshun. Konnomaru's reputation eventually supplied the sanctuary with the name Konno Hachimangu, replacing its earlier Shibuya Hachimangu designation. Minamoto no Yoritomo entered the tradition in 1189 when he visited during the campaign against Fujiwara no Yasuhira, offered a sword and ordered a cherry tree transferred from Kamakura in memory of Konnomaru. Descendants raised from that planting preserve the Konnozakura, a Choshu-hizakura whose branches carry both single and double blossoms and whose historical fame placed it among Edo's three celebrated cherry trees.

Early Edo patronage created another surviving historical layer through architecture, devotional art and mathematical offerings accumulated across nearly three centuries. Aoyama Tadatoshi and Kasuga no Tsubone financed construction of the present shrine building in 1612 after praying for Tokugawa Iemitsu's succession as third shogun, producing a gongen-zukuri structure whose carvings include a baku and tiger flanking the front of the worship hall. Two large votive paintings depicting episodes from the Shuten Doji tale entered the shrine in 1675, presenting the raid and demon-slaying scenes across separate panels measuring 78.5 by 105 centimeters and later receiving Shibuya cultural-property protection. The surviving gate carries evidence pointing to construction or major intervention in 1769 and 1801, including a 150-ryo contribution from Aoyama Tadahiro during the latter year. Three sangaku mathematical tablets followed in 1850, 1859 and 1864, preserving geometry problems offered by residents connected with Miyamasucho and, in the 1859 example, a samurai from the Iyo Saijo domain. A connecting corridor completed by 1925 extended the architectural ensemble with skilled shrine-carpentry work and joined the main building and gate under Shibuya's cultural-property designation in 2010. The precinct consequently preserves architecture, painted votive art and wasan mathematics from separate periods of Edo and modern Tokyo within the same surviving sanctuary.

Konno Hachimangu Shrine works as the anchor for a daytime progression through archaeological scholarship, classical publishing and modern Nihonga collecting across Shibuya and Higashi.

Begin at Kokugakuin University Museum, whose archaeological division originated in 1928 when student Kiyoyuki Higuchi donated approximately 4,000 archaeological objects gathered in Nara Prefecture and established a roughly 30-square-meter Archaeological Showroom. Archaeologist Ryuzo Torii supported the early institution, which became the Archaeology Museum in 1932, received recognition equivalent to a museum in 1952 and developed alongside a separate Shinto Museum founded in 1963 before both branches were combined and reorganized as Kokugakuin University Museum in 2013. Its archaeological holdings now span Japanese prehistory through early modern periods. Continue to Hanawa Hokiichi Memorial Museum, operated by Onko Gakkai, the scholarly association founded in 1909 with support from Eiichi Shibusawa to preserve the achievements of blind kokugaku scholar Hanawa Hokiichi. Hokiichi spent roughly four decades compiling Gunsho Ruiju, assembling 1,277 classical texts into 666 volumes, and the museum safeguards 17,244 surviving printing blocks used for the undertaking. Shibusawa later helped secure the Higashi site for the reinforced-concrete Onko Gakkai Hall completed in 1927, whose collection survived the 1945 air raids through emergency firefighting by staff. Conclude at Yamatane Museum of Art, founded in 1966 by securities entrepreneur Taneji Yamazaki as Japan's first museum specializing in Nihonga. Yamazaki built his collection through direct relationships with painters including Taikan Yokoyama, Seiho Takeuchi, Gyokudo Kawai, Shoen Uemura and Togyu Okumura, and later stewardship expanded the holdings to approximately 1,800 works, including six Important Cultural Properties and a major group of 105 works by Gyoshu Hayami. The progression moves from Kiyoyuki Higuchi's archaeological scholarship through Hanawa Hokiichi's vast classical publishing undertaking into Taneji Yamazaki's twentieth-century patronage of Nihonga, connecting three different approaches to preserving Japanese intellectual and artistic achievement.

MAKE IT REAL

Foresyte Travel reveals places that feel extraordinary long before you arrive.
Experience premium editorial crafted for luxury travelers.

SEARCH

GET THE APP

Read the Latest:

Daytime aerial view of the Las Vegas Strip with Bellagio Fountains and major resorts.

Itinerary Inspiration

Perfect weekend in Las Vegas

Read now
Illuminated water fountains in front of the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas

Fascinations

Fun facts about Las Vegas

Read now
<< Back to news page
Right Menu Icon