Meguro Parasitological Museum, Tokyo

Meguro Parasitological Museum is an absorbing scientific institution where Shimomeguro's residential streets conceal an unusually focused encounter with organisms ordinarily encountered only through medicine, zoology and microscopic research.

Set along Meguro-dori near Yamate-dori and just steps from the descent toward the Meguro River, the museum occupies two public floors inside a narrow research building whose modest exterior gives little indication of the specimens upstairs. Glass cases move from tiny organisms requiring magnification to preserved worms large enough to overturn any expectation of what parasitic life looks like. Anatomical diagrams and biological sequences deepen the encounter by showing hosts, developmental stages and routes of infection beside the organisms themselves. The result is a compact museum whose rebellious specialization turns an obscure branch of zoology into one of Tokyo's most intellectually distinctive scientific collections.

Meguro Parasitological Museum is best known for physician and parasitologist Satoru Kamegai establishing an independent institution devoted exclusively to parasitology with his private funds in 1953. Kamegai initially housed the museum in a temporary structure before a two-story reinforced-concrete building replaced it in 1956, and the Ministry of Education approved the supporting foundation the following year. Prince Mikasa visited in 1958, followed by Prince Takamatsu in 1960, placing the young scientific institution before two members of the imperial family during its first decade. Publishing became another component of Kamegai's project when the museum introduced its monthly bulletin in 1959, issued the first Japanese volume of Research on Parasites in Japan in 1961 and followed with the first English volume in 1964. Kamegai received the Medal with Purple Ribbon in 1976 for his scientific contributions and the Order of the Sacred Treasure, Third Class in 1987. A Japanese broad tapeworm, Diphyllobothrium nihonkaiense, expelled in 1986 reached 8.8 meters and entered the exhibition that year, becoming one of the institution's most recognizable specimens. The present six-story building with one basement level was completed in 1992, and the museum reopened there in April 1993. Kamegai's institution has since accumulated approximately 60,000 preserved specimens, including roughly 1,500 type specimens, alongside approximately 16,000 books and academic publications supporting its continuing research activity.

Scientific work behind the public galleries gives the institution a purpose extending far past the approximately 300 specimens and related objects displayed on its first two floors. The first floor organizes parasitic diversity across numerous animal groups through preserved organisms and video, establishing zoological breadth before the second floor concentrates on parasites affecting humans, their life cycles, pathological effects and the development of Japanese parasitology. Research laboratories, a specialist library and specimen storage occupy the nonpublic portions of the building, supporting taxonomic and morphological study alongside continuing acquisition of specimens. The foundation also distributes parasite eggs and prepared slides to educational and research institutions, publishes Japanese and English guidebooks and maintains a periodical descended from Kamegai's 1959 bulletin. Institutional governance changed again in 2013 when the organization became a public interest incorporated foundation, followed by Toshiharu Kuramochi becoming its sixth director in 2021. The museum received renewed recognition under Japan's revised Museum Act in September 2025, extending Kamegai's privately financed scientific project into its eighth decade as a research, preservation and public-education institution devoted to a single biological field.

Meguro Parasitological Museum works as the anchor for a daytime progression through modern Japanese art, Edo Buddhist sculpture and the physical memory of one of the eighteenth century capital's great fires across Shimomeguro and the Meguro River corridor.

Begin at Meguro Museum of Art, Tokyo, conceived through a municipal cultural-planning process that began with a facilities committee in 1978 and culminated in the museum's November 15, 1987 debut inside Meguro Citizens Center. Nihon Sekkei directed the architecture with GK Sekkei and Super Potato collaborating on the design, creating a three-story institution whose collection concentrates on modern and contemporary Japanese artists, particularly figures who studied abroad or developed sustained relationships with Western art. Tsuguharu Fujita, Yayoi Kusama, Kenzo Okada, Takanori Oguiss and Kaii Higashiyama appear among the artists represented. Continue to Gohyaku Rakanji, founded in 1695 after monk and sculptor Shoun Genkei began carving his vast assembly of rakan figures in 1691 and secured patronage that included financial support from Keishoin. Shoun produced more than 500 Buddhist figures during a campaign extending into the early eighteenth century, and 305 surviving sculptures now carry Tokyo cultural-property protection. The temple suffered repeated decline, earthquake damage and relocation before reaching Shimomeguro in 1908, with Hidaka Munetoshi leading construction of the present temple complex completed in 1981. Conclude at Daienji, where the catastrophic Meiwa Fire began in February 1772 and spread from the temple through Shirokane, Kanda, Yushima, Shitaya and Asakusa, leaving Daienji prohibited from reconstruction for 76 years. A large stone Buddhist ensemble subsequently arose in commemoration of the dead, centered on a Shaka triad surrounded by Sixteen Rakan, Ten Great Disciples and roughly 500 smaller rakan figures; the principal Shaka bears an inscription dated 1781, and Tokyo granted the group cultural-property protection in 1970. The progression moves from a municipal collection charting Japanese artists' encounters with Western art through Shoun Genkei's surviving Edo sculpture into a Buddhist memorial created after the 1772 Meiwa Fire, concentrating three distinct forms of preservation within the streets surrounding the Meguro River.

MAKE IT REAL

Foresyte Travel reveals places that feel extraordinary long before you arrive.
Experience premium editorial crafted for luxury travelers.

SEARCH

GET THE APP

Read the Latest:

Daytime aerial view of the Las Vegas Strip with Bellagio Fountains and major resorts.

Itinerary Inspiration

Perfect weekend in Las Vegas

Read now
Illuminated water fountains in front of the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas

Fascinations

Fun facts about Las Vegas

Read now
<< Back to news page
Right Menu Icon