Nihombashi Takashimaya, Tokyo

Nihombashi Takashimaya is an architectural anchor where Nihonbashi's historic commercial prestige becomes tangible through grand interiors, ceremonial circulation and a department store conceived with the grandeur of a major civic building.

Set along Chuo-dori near Yaesu-dori and just steps from Nihombashi Station, the main building occupies nearly an entire city block behind a symmetrical stone-clad facade whose restrained scale gives little indication of the elaborate interiors beyond. Coffered ceilings, carved plasterwork, marble surfaces and substantial stair halls turn movement between departments into an architectural encounter extending far beyond conventional retail space. Elevator attendants still operate historic cars manually, preserving a distinctive ritual of vertical circulation amid contemporary commercial activity. The result is a department store where shopping unfolds inside an unusually intact architectural environment, allowing the rituals and ambitions of early twentieth-century metropolitan retail to remain physically perceptible.

Nihombashi Takashimaya is best known for becoming Japan's first department-store building designated a national Important Cultural Property, recognition granted in 2009 to an architectural complex developed across more than three decades by Sadataro Takahashi and Togo Murano. Takashimaya originated in Kyoto in 1831 when Shinshichi Iida established a used-clothing and cotton business, entered Tokyo through a Nihombashi store in 1900 and opened the present Tokyo Nihombashi store in 1933. The original Nihon Seimei Building emerged from an architectural competition won by Takahashi with a proposal calling for contemporary architecture grounded in East Asian artistic traditions, producing a steel-reinforced concrete structure whose Western historical composition incorporated Japanese details across entrances, ceilings and interior ornament. Full-building air conditioning represented a major commercial innovation, promoted through an advertising campaign built around the contrast between the cooled interior and summer streets outside. Wartime conditions halted Takahashi's planned 1939 expansion after completion of its basement levels, leaving the store's eventual enlargement to another major Japanese architect after the war.

Togo Murano transformed that incomplete prewar building into the block-scale department store visible today. Murano undertook four principal expansions in 1952, 1954, 1963 and 1965, carrying new construction around the existing store until the building occupied the full block and resolving successive additions as a unified composition. The 1954 work also coincided with an unusual chapter in Takashimaya history involving Takako, the elephant kept on the roof from 1950 until 1954 after arriving from Thailand as a roughly 560-kilogram calf. Takako had reached approximately 1.8 metric tons when transfer to Ueno Zoo became necessary, forcing handlers to guide her down the central staircase after a crane was judged unsuitable for the increased weight. Murano subsequently designed a rooftop structure associated with the elephant's silhouette, preserving the episode within the building he was expanding. Tokyo selected the store as a Historic Building in 2006, and the national designation three years later recognized Takahashi's original section and Murano's additions as a single architecturally accomplished work representing Japanese department-store design.

Nihombashi Takashimaya works as the anchor for a daytime progression through Japanese monetary history, medieval religious tradition and the institutional development of the securities market across Nihonbashi and Kabutocho.

Begin at Currency Museum, whose core Sempeikan Collection was assembled by numismatist Keibun Tanaka, born in 1884, who constructed a private museum for his holdings in 1923 and developed a collection reaching approximately 100,000 objects associated with Japanese and East Asian currency. Tanaka transferred the collection to the Bank of Japan in December 1944 to protect it from wartime destruction, and the bank opened the Currency Museum in November 1985 following its 1982 centenary; holdings now number approximately three million objects and encompass Wado Kaichin, Tensho Oban, clan notes, coin molds, printing blocks and early Bank of Japan notes. Continue to Koami Shrine, where a religious lineage associated with the Buddhist monk Eshin Sozu preceded an episode in 1466 linking the precinct with Inari worship during an epidemic. Shrine tradition describes an elderly fisherman arriving with rice ears caught in his net before Eshin Sozu appeared to the hermitage priest in a dream directing worship of the visitor as Inari Okami, an event subsequently connected with the disappearance of the epidemic and the establishment of the sanctuary's enduring protective reputation. Conclude at Tokyo Stock Exchange, whose predecessor formed in May 1878 after the government enacted the Stock Exchange Ordinance and Eiichi Shibusawa, Younosuke Mitsui and other financiers secured authorization from Finance Minister Shigenobu Okuma. Trading began on June 1 with government bonds before four corporations, including First National Bank, joined by year's end; physical floor trading survived for more than 120 years before closing on April 30, 1999, and TSE Arrows opened on the former trading-floor site in May 2000. The progression moves from Keibun Tanaka's preservation of Japanese monetary history through Koami Shrine's fifteenth-century religious tradition into Shibusawa and Mitsui's institutionalization of securities trading, establishing three distinct foundations of the financial and mercantile district surrounding Nihombashi Takashimaya.

MAKE IT REAL

Foresyte Travel reveals places that feel extraordinary long before you arrive.
Experience premium editorial crafted for luxury travelers.

SEARCH

GET THE APP

Read the Latest:

Daytime aerial view of the Las Vegas Strip with Bellagio Fountains and major resorts.

Itinerary Inspiration

Perfect weekend in Las Vegas

Read now
Illuminated water fountains in front of the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas

Fascinations

Fun facts about Las Vegas

Read now
<< Back to news page
Right Menu Icon