Yaesu-dori, Tokyo

Yaesu-dori is a commanding corridor where Yaesu's mercantile inheritance, railway-age transformation, postwar reconstruction and contemporary architectural ambition converge along the eastern approach to Tokyo Station.

Running through Yaesu between Marunouchi and Nihonbashi, the corridor extends east from Tokyo Station across Chuo-dori before continuing toward the Sumida River, linking the capital's principal railway terminus with commercial districts shaped by centuries of movement through Central Edo and Tokyo. Around the station, successive generations of offices, department stores and subterranean passages occupy blocks transformed repeatedly by railway construction, wartime destruction and postwar redevelopment. Farther east, the avenue crosses the historic commercial territory of Nihonbashi before reaching the river at Eitai Bridge, creating a remarkably direct passage from Tokyo's railway center toward its older waterside geography. The result is a corridor where the grand scale of contemporary Tokyo remains connected to the commercial and riverine networks that preceded it.

Yaesu-dori is best known for carrying the name of Jan Joosten van Lodensteijn, the Dutch navigator whose arrival in Japan aboard the Liefde in 1600 ultimately left an extraordinary linguistic imprint on the geography surrounding Tokyo Station. Tokugawa Ieyasu retained Joosten as an adviser on foreign affairs and granted him a residence near the inner moat of Edo Castle, where the Japanese rendering of his name, Yayosu, became associated with the surrounding area and eventually evolved into Yaesu. The name initially belonged to territory on the Marunouchi side of the present station before municipal changes transferred it eastward, with the modern Yaesu 1-chome and 2-chome designations established in 1954. Tokyo Station itself had opened in 1914 with its principal frontage facing Marunouchi, leaving the eastern side comparatively secondary until the Yaesu entrance opened in 1929 and accelerated the district's development as another major gateway to the railway complex. Wartime air raids destroyed the station's Yaesu facilities in 1945, and the postwar reconstruction that followed culminated in the opening of the twelve-story Tetsudo Kaikan building in 1954. Yaesu-dori consequently carries a name born from seventeenth-century Dutch-Japanese diplomacy through territory fundamentally reorganized by the twentieth-century expansion of Tokyo Station.

The postwar avenue became inseparable from an ambitious attempt to build an entire commercial city beneath the station approach. Construction of Yaesu Underground Shopping Mall began during the 1960s as rising automobile traffic, limited surface space and the redevelopment of the station's eastern side encouraged planners to combine underground retail with parking and pedestrian circulation. The first phase opened in 1965, followed by successive expansions that produced one of Japan's largest underground commercial complexes beneath Yaesu-dori and the adjoining station blocks. Another transformation began after the closure and demolition of Tetsudo Kaikan, when the GranTokyo North and South towers opened in 2007 as part of the Tokyo Station City redevelopment and the GranRoof pedestrian canopy subsequently connected the new Yaesu frontage. Tokyo Midtown Yaesu followed in 2023, developed by Mitsui Fudosan around a roughly 240-meter tower containing offices, commercial space, a hotel and the relocated Yaesu Bus Terminal Tokyo. Yaesu Underground Shopping Mall, GranTokyo and Tokyo Midtown Yaesu chart the district's progression from postwar reconstruction into vertically layered urbanism, placing rail, buses, pedestrian circulation, retail and high-rise architecture around the same historic station approach.

Yaesu-dori works as the anchor for a daytime exploration tracing Tokyo's railway modernization, commercial origins and river engineering from the station district toward Nihonbashi.

Begin at Tokyo Station, where the Marunouchi building opened in 1914 after architect Kingo Tatsuno developed the red-brick terminus that became the centerpiece of Japan's expanding national railway network. The structure survived the 1923 Great Kanto Earthquake with limited damage, lost its original domes and third floor during the May 1945 air raids and underwent a major conservation project completed in 2012 that restored Tatsuno's original three-story silhouette. Continue east to Nihonbashi, first constructed in 1603 as Tokugawa Ieyasu established Edo's national road system and designated the bridge as the starting point from which distances along the major highways were measured. The present stone bridge opened in 1911, with architect Tsumaki Yorinaka involved in its design and bronze kirin sculptures by Kiyoshi Watanabe giving the crossing one of Meiji Tokyo's most distinctive civic compositions. Conclude at Eitai Bridge, whose origins reach to 1698 when the Tokugawa shogunate established a crossing farther upstream from the present structure, before the 1923 Great Kanto Earthquake destroyed its steel predecessor. The current steel tied-arch bridge opened in 1926 as part of the imperial capital reconstruction program and later became one of the Sumida River bridges designated an Important Cultural Property in 2007. The progression moves from Kingo Tatsuno's railway gateway through Nihonbashi's role as the geographical origin of Japan's national road network and onward to Eitai Bridge's reconstruction-era engineering, revealing how railways, highways and waterways successively organized the territory traversed by Yaesu-dori.

MAKE IT REAL

Foresyte Travel reveals places that feel extraordinary long before you arrive.
Experience premium editorial crafted for luxury travelers.

SEARCH

GET THE APP

Read the Latest:

Daytime aerial view of the Las Vegas Strip with Bellagio Fountains and major resorts.

Itinerary Inspiration

Perfect weekend in Las Vegas

Read now
Illuminated water fountains in front of the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas

Fascinations

Fun facts about Las Vegas

Read now
<< Back to news page
Right Menu Icon