
Why you should experience University of Tokyo Komaba Campus in Tokyo, Japan.
University of Tokyo Komaba Campus is a scholarly enclave where Komaba's academic character, Tokugawa landscape history, prewar educational architecture and interdisciplinary university culture converge across one of the University of Tokyo's three principal campuses.
Set along Komaba-dori near Awashima-dori and just steps from Komaba-todaimae Station, the campus extends across tree-lined grounds centered on Building No. 1, whose clock tower establishes a formal axis behind the main gate amid surviving structures from the former First Higher School. Broad lawns, mature trees, ginkgo-lined paths and Ichiniro Pond soften an academic precinct whose architecture shifts between 1930s institutional buildings and contemporary teaching facilities across the grounds. Moving from the clock tower toward the pond and wooded western reaches reveals an unusual continuity between formal university architecture and remnants of the Musashino landscape, including spring-fed terrain associated with a tributary of the Meguro River. The result is a campus where educational architecture, mature woodland and nearly 150 years of institutional change give the University of Tokyo an unusually layered physical presence in Komaba.
What you should know about University of Tokyo Komaba Campus.
University of Tokyo Komaba Campus is best known for carrying successive chapters of Japanese education across land that evolved from Tokugawa hunting grounds into an agricultural school, the First Higher School and the University of Tokyo's principal center for liberal arts education. Eighth Tokugawa shogun Yoshimune used the wider Komabano area as a hunting preserve during the early eighteenth century, with the grounds extending across approximately 50 hectares and incorporating an herb garden. The Komaba School of Agriculture established an institutional presence here in 1878 before becoming the College of Agriculture of Imperial University and later the Faculty of Agriculture of Tokyo Imperial University. A 1935 land exchange transferred that faculty to Hongo and brought the First Higher School to Komaba, with Tokyo Imperial University constructing a coordinated group of academic buildings modeled on the architectural language of its Hongo campus. Building No. 1 had already been completed in 1933 under Yoshikazu Uchida, the architect responsible for much of Tokyo Imperial University's reconstruction after the Great Kanto Earthquake, and its clock tower subsequently served students conducting air surveillance during World War II. Wartime destruction eliminated much of the campus, leaving Building No. 1, the former Ethics Hall now Classroom 900, the former library and Building 101 among the surviving First Higher School structures. The First Higher School entered the University of Tokyo under the postwar educational system in 1949, establishing Komaba as the home of the College of Arts and Sciences and extending the site's educational lineage into interdisciplinary university study.
The 21 Komaba Center for Educational Excellence develops that interdisciplinary tradition through a teaching complex conceived around active learning and experimental energy systems. 21 KOMCEE West was completed in 2011 with approximately 4,500 square meters containing nine studio classrooms, a lecture hall and shared learning areas designed for debate, presentations, collaborative study and physical expression. Minoru Mori became the principal benefactor associated with its hall, and lighting designer Akari-Lisa Ishii developed the lighting for the hall and ground-floor areas. New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization support connected the building with a Zero Energy Building research program undertaken with the University of Tokyo Institute of Industrial Science, incorporating groundwater circulation heating and cooling, radiant air conditioning, photovoltaic generation and artificial-intelligence energy management. 21 KOMCEE East followed in 2014 with approximately 7,500 square meters devoted partly to foundational science laboratories, linking experimental instruction with the collaborative teaching model established in the West building. The two 21 KOMCEE buildings extend Komaba's long educational role through architecture designed around interdisciplinary teaching, environmental engineering and changing methods of university instruction.
How to fold University of Tokyo Komaba Campus into your trip.
University of Tokyo Komaba Campus works as the academic centerpiece within a daytime Komaba progression connecting aristocratic residential architecture, modern Japanese literary preservation and the intellectual origins of the Mingei movement.
Begin at Former Marquis Maeda Main Residence, created after the Maeda family exchanged its Hongo property for land in Komaba during the reorganization surrounding Tokyo Imperial University. Toshinari Maeda's Western residence was completed in 1929 as a reinforced-concrete British country-house composition incorporating copper roofing, decorative tilework and contemporary engineering, before Allied occupation converted the estate into a residence for senior United States military personnel after World War II; the surviving Western and Japanese buildings now preserve the domestic world of the former Kaga daimyo lineage. Continue to Museum of Modern Japanese Literature, established through support from writers, scholars, publishers and newspapers to preserve literary culture from the Meiji period onward. Its Komaba institution developed holdings spanning books, magazines, manuscripts, correspondence, diaries and other literary archives, building a collection of approximately 1.2 million items connected with modern Japanese letters and placing scholarly preservation within the former Maeda estate. Conclude at Japan Folk Crafts Museum, where Soetsu Yanagi transformed his engagement with Korean craft and anonymous Japanese craftsmanship into the institutional center of the Mingei movement. Yanagi, Kanjiro Kawai and Shoji Hamada coined the term mingei in 1925, issued plans for a folk-craft museum the following year and established the Komaba museum in 1936; Yanagi designed its Main Hall and developed a collection encompassing ceramics, textiles, woodwork, lacquer, paintings and craft traditions from Japan and abroad. The progression moves from the Maeda family's aristocratic transition from Hongo to Komaba through the institutional preservation of modern Japanese literature into Soetsu Yanagi's conversion of Mingei theory into a purpose-built museum, placing University of Tokyo Komaba Campus within a district shaped by education, collecting and major twentieth-century cultural institutions.
Where your story begins.
Foresyte Travel reveals places that feel extraordinary long before you arrive.
Experience premium editorial crafted for luxury travelers.
















































































































