Yanagi-dori, Tokyo

Yanagi-dori is a cultivated corridor where Kyobashi's merchant inheritance, Tokaido geography, postwar commercial resurgence and contemporary architectural ambition converge immediately east of Tokyo Station.

Running through Kyobashi between Yaesu and Ginza, the corridor extends from Yaesu 2-chome into Kyobashi 3-chome across a compact district historically positioned between Nihonbashi and the former Kyobashi River. Tokyo Station rises immediately west, Chuo-dori crosses the route near Kyobashi Station, and successive blocks carry the street through a concentration of corporate headquarters, galleries and large-scale redevelopment assembled within the old merchant quarter. The surrounding streets preserve a geography shaped first by Edo-period trade routes and waterways, then by earthquake reconstruction, wartime destruction and the extraordinary commercial rebuilding of Central Tokyo after 1945. The result is a corridor where Kyobashi's mercantile origins and contemporary architecture occupy the same tightly compressed territory between Tokyo Station and Ginza.

Yanagi-dori is best known for crossing a Kyobashi district whose commercial importance originated beside the Tokaido and a bridge established around the beginning of the Tokugawa shogunate. Kyobashi was constructed across the Kyobashi River around the same period as Nihonbashi in 1603 and became the first major bridge encountered when traveling toward Kyoto from Nihonbashi, the starting point of the Tokaido from 1604. The bridge belonged with Nihonbashi and Shinbashi to a select group of Edo crossings distinguished by giboshi ornaments on their railings, reflecting its status within the shogunate's road system. Bamboo merchants concentrated at Takegashi on the northeastern riverbank, vegetable trading developed at Daikongashi to the west, and surrounding blocks filled with merchants and craftsmen whose trades supplied names to individual neighborhoods. The 1923 Great Kanto Earthquake devastated much of Kyobashi before land readjustment and widened roads reconstructed the district, only for wartime destruction to force another rebuilding cycle two decades later. Rubble from that destruction contributed to the postwar filling of waterways, and the Kyobashi River disappeared in 1959, eliminating the bridge that had given the district its name. Chuo City formally established the Yanagi-dori road name in fiscal 1988 for the route between Yaesu 2-chome and Kyobashi 3-chome, then extended the designated corridor in fiscal 1990.

Large-scale redevelopment has since concentrated a new architectural chapter around Yanagi-dori and the neighboring Kyobashi blocks. Tokyo Square Garden opened in 2013 as a major redevelopment beside Kyobashi Station, bringing a new high-rise complex to land immediately east of the historic commercial spine connecting Nihonbashi with Ginza. Museum Tower Kyobashi followed in 2019, creating a 23-story building whose lower floors became the new home of the Ishibashi Foundation's Artizon Museum in 2020 after the former Bridgestone Museum of Art closed in 2015. Toda Corporation expanded the district's architectural reinvention through TODA BUILDING, completed in September 2024 and opened that November after the Kyobashi 1-chome East District received urban-planning approval in 2016. The building dedicates its first six floors to art and cultural uses, joining the neighboring Museum Tower Kyobashi within Kyobashi Saiku, an arts district initiative established through an area-management organization in 2019. Tokyo Square Garden, Museum Tower Kyobashi and TODA BUILDING have consequently turned the blocks surrounding Yanagi-dori into a concentrated sequence of twenty-first-century architecture layered onto a commercial quarter whose urban lineage reaches the first years of Edo.

Yanagi-dori works as the anchor for a daytime exploration tracing private collecting, Japanese cinema and the surviving geography of the Tokaido through Kyobashi.

Begin at Artizon Museum, whose predecessor opened in 1952 after Bridgestone founder Shojiro Ishibashi converted the second floor of his new Kyobashi headquarters into a public gallery inspired by his 1950 encounter with New York's Museum of Modern Art. Ishibashi transferred stewardship to the Ishibashi Foundation in 1956, and the institution reopened under the Artizon name in Museum Tower Kyobashi in 2020 with three gallery floors approximately twice the area of its predecessor. Continue to National Film Archive of Japan, whose institutional history began in Kyobashi in 1952 as the film library section of the newly founded National Museum of Modern Art. The division became the National Film Center in 1970, moved into a Yoshinobu Ashihara-designed rebuilt Kyobashi facility in 1995 and achieved independence in 2018 as Japan's sixth National Museum of Art institution, preserving a connection between the district and cinema that extends back to Meiji-era theaters and Nikkatsu's 1930 headquarters. Conclude at the Kyobashi Bridge Pillars, where surviving bridge elements mark the former crossing of the Kyobashi River near the boundary of Kyobashi and Ginza. The bridge originated around 1603, carried the Tokaido south from Nihonbashi past riverbanks known for bamboo and vegetable commerce, and disappeared when the waterway was filled in 1959, leaving its surviving structural markers to preserve the geography behind the district's name. The progression moves from Ishibashi's postwar creation of a public art collection through Kyobashi's seven-decade institutional relationship with Japanese film and onward to the surviving remains of the bridge that organized movement toward Kyoto during the Edo period, revealing the artistic, cinematic and mercantile histories surrounding Yanagi-dori.

MAKE IT REAL

Foresyte Travel reveals places that feel extraordinary long before you arrive.
Experience premium editorial crafted for luxury travelers.

SEARCH

GET THE APP

Read the Latest:

Daytime aerial view of the Las Vegas Strip with Bellagio Fountains and major resorts.

Itinerary Inspiration

Perfect weekend in Las Vegas

Read now
Illuminated water fountains in front of the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas

Fascinations

Fun facts about Las Vegas

Read now
<< Back to news page
Right Menu Icon