Ginza Yanagi-dori, Tokyo

Ginza Yanagi-dori is a refined corridor where Ginza's Edo-period street grid, celebrated willow culture, early Showa architecture and luxury commerce converge along one of the district's principal east-west avenues.

Running through Ginza between Yurakucho and Kyobashi, the tree-lined avenue passes jewelry houses, fashion boutiques, specialist shops and surviving prewar buildings across the northern blocks of Ginza 1-chome and 2-chome. Ginza's east-west streets largely follow chome boundaries inherited from a street system whose underlying organization reaches back approximately four centuries, with Yanagi-dori occupying the sequence between Sakura-dori and Marronnier-dori. Willow imagery carries unusual cultural weight in Ginza, where the trees were already an established part of the streetscape by the late nineteenth century and subsequently entered popular music, civic campaigns and successive planting programs. The result is a compact avenue where Ginza's commercial polish remains connected to a botanical symbol that survived repeated reinvention across the modern city.

Ginza Yanagi-dori is best known for carrying the name of the willow, a tree whose association with Ginza survived road reconstruction, the Great Kanto Earthquake and changing fashions in metropolitan planting. Willow-lined streets were already familiar in Ginza by the 1880s, when large retailers were helping establish the district alongside Nihonbashi as a major shopping center. Later road improvements replaced willows with other species, and the 1923 earthquake eliminated much of the succeeding streetscape. Popular culture reversed that disappearance: lyricist Yaso Saijo and composer Shinpei Nakayama created Tokyo March in 1929, with Chiyako Sato's recording turning its reference to Ginza's lost willows into part of a national hit. Public enthusiasm strengthened calls for their return, and the Ginza Street Association proposed restoring the trees after adopting its present organizational name in 1930. Tokyo Asahi Shimbun supplied new willows, followed by a planting ceremony at Ginza 4-chome on February 16, 1932 and a Ginza Willow Revival Festival the following month. The willow consequently moved from nineteenth-century streetscape feature through loss, popular song and organized restoration into one of Ginza's most persistent cultural symbols.

Yonei Building gives Ginza Yanagi-dori a surviving architectural counterpart to that early Showa revival. Trading company Yonei completed the building in 1930 to a design by Matsunosuke Moriyama, whose career also produced the former Taiwan Governor-General's Office and Taiwan Pavilion at Shinjuku Gyoen. Moriyama composed the lower exterior with Romanesque arches, stone facing and strongly defined horizontal bands, preserving an unusually substantial fragment of the architecture constructed during Ginza's post-earthquake recovery. Expansion in 1951 raised the building to seven stories, followed by replacement of upper-floor exterior finishes and window frames in 1984 as the owners retained the character of the surviving lower faΓ§ade. Yonei Building joined the restored willow era almost immediately after its completion, leaving Ginza Yanagi-dori with a physical survivor from the same early Showa decades that turned the willow into an enduring emblem of the district.

Ginza Yanagi-dori works as the anchor for a daytime exploration tracing the monetary institution that created the Ginza name, prewar metropolitan housing and Japan's development of a national institution devoted to cinema.

Begin at Ginza Origin Monument, marking the vicinity where the Tokugawa shogunate established its silver mint and Ginza office in 1612 after transferring silver operations from Sunpu. The official district was Shinryogaecho, but the Ginza name derived from the organization controlling silver acquisition, administration and coin production; misconduct led the shogunate to transfer the institution to Nihonbashi Kakigaracho in 1800, yet the informal name survived and became the official place name in 1869. Continue to Okuno Building, completed in two stages in 1932 and 1934 as Ginza Apartment under architect Ryoichi Kawamoto, who had worked on the Dojunkai apartment program created after the Great Kanto Earthquake. The reinforced-concrete complex incorporated shops, steam heating, a communal bath, rooftop laundry facilities and an elevator into an unusually sophisticated metropolitan residence; its former apartments subsequently became small galleries and creative spaces without erasing the interconnected staircases and much of the prewar interior. Conclude at National Film Archive of Japan, whose lineage began in 1952 when the National Museum of Modern Art opened inside the converted former Nikkatsu headquarters in Kyobashi and established Japan's first film library within a national institution. The Film Center followed in 1969 and opened in expanded form in 1970, with support for its growth led by figures including Masaichi Nagata and Kashiko Kawakita. A new Yoshinobu Ashihara-designed facility opened in 1995 before the film division became the independent National Film Archive of Japan in 2018, the sixth institution within the National Museum of Art. The progression moves from the Tokugawa silver institution that supplied Ginza with its name through Ryoichi Kawamoto's experiment in modern metropolitan housing and onward to the national preservation of Japanese cinema, tracing three consequential chapters of monetary, architectural and cultural history around Ginza Yanagi-dori.

MAKE IT REAL

Foresyte Travel reveals places that feel extraordinary long before you arrive.
Experience premium editorial crafted for luxury travelers.

SEARCH

GET THE APP

Read the Latest:

Daytime aerial view of the Las Vegas Strip with Bellagio Fountains and major resorts.

Itinerary Inspiration

Perfect weekend in Las Vegas

Read now
Illuminated water fountains in front of the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas

Fascinations

Fun facts about Las Vegas

Read now
<< Back to news page
Right Menu Icon