Kajibashi-dori, Tokyo

Kajibashi-dori is a historic corridor where Kyobashi's Edo castle-town inheritance, former canal geography, Meiji commercial expansion and Marunouchi's business district converge along an east-west route carrying the name of a vanished gate in the outer defenses of Edo Castle.

Running through Kyobashi between Marunouchi and Hatchobori, the corridor crosses the former line of the castle's outer moat before continuing through territory historically divided among samurai estates, artisan quarters and waterways feeding the commercial center of Edo. The avenue intersects Chuo-dori and Showa-dori as its eastern course advances toward the Sumida River, placing several generations of metropolitan street planning across an older landscape organized around bridges and canals. Chuo City still treats the Kajibashi name as part of the district's inherited historical geography, preserving a direct linguistic connection between the contemporary street and the castle gate that once controlled movement at its western end. The result is a corridor where the erased defensive infrastructure of Edo survives within the street pattern joining Marunouchi with eastern Chuo.

Kajibashi-dori is best known for preserving the name of Kajibashi Gate, among the entrances through the outer enclosure of Edo Castle and part of the defensive system constructed as the Tokugawa shogunate enlarged the city during the seventeenth century. Edo Castle's outer works developed through the tenka bushin construction campaigns between 1604 and 1636, eventually enclosing much of the castle town behind an approximately 14-kilometer system of moats punctuated by guarded gates and mitsuke. Kajibashi occupied the southeastern outer moat between the neighboring gateways of Sukiyabashi and Gofukubashi, controlling passage between the castle enclosure and the artisan-commercial territory extending toward Kyobashi. An official 1717 collection of outer-gate drawings preserves the larger defensive arrangement in which twenty-six principal outer gates regulated entry through the perimeter. Meiji dismantling ended that military function after the shogunate collapsed, and the Kajibashi Gate turret was ordered removed on April 5, 1873 during the systematic clearance of former castle structures. The moat itself disappeared during subsequent metropolitan development, but the Kajibashi name transferred from a fortified crossing into the modern avenue, allowing a seventeenth-century component of Edo's defenses to survive in Tokyo's street geography.

The disappearance of the eastern outer moat accelerated during the twentieth century as Tokyo converted former waterways into infrastructure for an increasingly automobile-oriented center. Tokyo Metropolitan Government planning history places the Nihonbashi, Yaesu and Kyobashi districts inside terrain extensively reshaped from the Tokugawa period onward, beginning with the cutting of Kandayama and reclamation of Hibiya Inlet before later road construction erased substantial sections of the inherited canal system. Metropolitan engineering archives preserve Kajibashi-dori at the Kajibashi intersection in an October 31, 1955 photograph, with the former Tokyo Metropolitan Government headquarters standing beside a roadway already functioning within the reconstructed postwar center. The former outer moat farther east entered the postwar Tokyo Expressway project, whose elevated roadway reused filled and narrowed waterways around Ginza and Kyobashi as valuable transportation land. Kajibashi-dori consequently occupies a rare chronological cross-section of Central Tokyo: the gate disappeared in 1873, the moat lost its original defensive and hydrological role, and twentieth-century road infrastructure absorbed the same geography into the circulation system of the modern capital.

Kajibashi-dori works as the anchor for a daytime exploration tracing Mitsubishi's construction of Marunouchi, Japan's institutional preservation of cinema and the commercial modernization of Kyobashi.

Begin at Mitsubishi Ichigokan Museum, reconstructed from Josiah Conder's 1894 Mitsubishi Ichigokan, the first Western-style office building erected by Mitsubishi in Marunouchi. Conder became a Mitsubishi adviser in 1890 and worked with former pupil Tatsuzo Sone and executive Heigoro Shoda on a business district of three-story red-brick buildings lining a road approximately 36 meters wide; the original Ichigokan disappeared in 1968 before reconstruction on the same site preceded the museum's 2010 opening. Continue to National Film Archive of Japan, whose institutional lineage began in Kyobashi in 1952 as the film library of the National Museum of Modern Art. The operation became the National Film Center in 1970, gained a purpose-built Kyobashi building designed by Yoshinobu Ashihara in 1995 and became an independent national institution in 2018; its collection exceeded 90,000 films by March 2025. Conclude in the surviving commercial streets of Kyobashi, a district whose Edo artisans and merchants occupied territory between the castle enclosure and the waterways extending toward the Sumida. Chuo City places Kajibashi-dori among the names preserving that inherited artisan geography, even after Meiji modernization, department-store commerce and successive road projects remade the physical district. The progression moves from Josiah Conder and Mitsubishi's creation of a modern business quarter through the national film institution established in Kyobashi and onward to the artisan place names surviving beneath contemporary commerce, revealing how corporate architecture, cultural preservation and Edo occupational geography accumulated around Kajibashi-dori.

MAKE IT REAL

Foresyte Travel reveals places that feel extraordinary long before you arrive.
Experience premium editorial crafted for luxury travelers.

SEARCH

GET THE APP

Read the Latest:

Daytime aerial view of the Las Vegas Strip with Bellagio Fountains and major resorts.

Itinerary Inspiration

Perfect weekend in Las Vegas

Read now
Illuminated water fountains in front of the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas

Fascinations

Fun facts about Las Vegas

Read now
<< Back to news page
Right Menu Icon