Nakameguro Station, Tokyo

Nakameguro Station is a kinetic urban threshold where Kamimeguro's railway viaduct, riverfront streets and dense commercial lanes converge beneath trains arriving from opposite sides of metropolitan Tokyo.

Set above Yamate-dori near Komazawa-dori and just steps from the Meguro River, the elevated station concentrates passenger movement into a narrow footprint suspended directly over one of the district's busiest intersections. Four tracks pass between paired island platforms, bringing subway and suburban railway services into close physical proximity before their routes separate beyond the station. Street-level exits release passengers directly into tightly packed restaurants, shops and pedestrian lanes, creating an immediate transition from transportation infrastructure into the surrounding district. The result is a station where elevated railways, intense pedestrian movement and the neighboring river establish an unusually vivid point of arrival in southern Tokyo.

Nakameguro Station is best known for becoming the western junction between the Tokyu Toyoko Line and Tokyo Metro Hibiya Line, a role created through one of the major railway integration projects preceding the 1964 Tokyo Olympics. Tokyo-Yokohama Electric Railway opened the Shibuya to Maruko-Tamagawa section of the Toyoko Line on August 28, 1927, completing the railway between Shibuya and Kanagawa and placing Nakameguro on a corridor whose annual ridership rose from approximately 2.88 million in fiscal 1927 to approximately 7.27 million the following year. Plans for the Hibiya Line later required extensive reconstruction at Nakameguro, whose earlier configuration contained two tracks and two side platforms before Tokyu expanded the station for subway connection. Tokyo Metro opened the Ebisu to Nakameguro section on July 22, 1964, allowing Hibiya Line trains to operate between Nakameguro and Kasumigaseki before the remaining Higashi-ginza to Kasumigaseki section entered service on August 29. Completion of that final section established the entire Kita-senju to Nakameguro Hibiya Line and initiated reciprocal operation between the subway and Toyoko Line as far as Hiyoshi.

Passenger movement changed immediately after the Hibiya Line connection reorganized travel between the Toyoko corridor and Central Tokyo. A three-company traffic study conducted in November 1964 found that daily station usage had risen from 26,494 passengers in a 1962 count to 110,160, including 70,018 passengers transferring through the Hibiya Line connection. Direct subway access allowed Toyoko Line passengers to enter Central Tokyo without traveling through Shibuya, and Shibuya Station usage fell by approximately 72,000 passengers between the cited 1962 and September 1964 counts. Nakameguro simultaneously became an express stop on the Toyoko Line when reciprocal operation began on August 29, strengthening its position within Tokyu's service hierarchy. The interchange remained part of the through-service network for nearly half a century before Tokyu ended Toyoko and Hibiya Line reciprocal operation in March 2013 as the Toyoko Line began a new connection with the Fukutoshin Line at Shibuya. Tokyo Metro trains continue to terminate at Nakameguro, preserving the station as the Hibiya Line's western endpoint even after the operating relationship that created the interchange changed fundamentally.

Nakameguro Station works as the anchor for a daytime progression through Edo disaster memory, twentieth-century parasitological research and an imperial residence shaped by French Art Deco across the districts extending south from the station.

Begin at Daienji, where the 1772 Meiwa fire began before strong winds carried destruction through Shirokane, Kanda, Yushima, Shitaya and Asakusa in one of Edo's three great conflagrations. Reconstruction of the temple remained prohibited for 76 years, and worshippers subsequently funded approximately 500 stone rakan figures commemorating victims of the disaster; a Central Shaka Nyorai bears a 1781 inscription, and Tokyo designated the sculptural group a Tangible Cultural Property in 1970. Continue to Meguro Parasitological Museum, founded in 1953 by physician Satoru Kamegai through his private funds as a specialized institution for parasitology. A reinforced-concrete main building followed in 1956, government authorization as a foundation arrived in 1957 and Prince Mikasa visited in 1958; the institution now displays approximately 300 specimens and related objects alongside exhibitions addressing parasite diversity, human infection and the history of Japanese parasitological research. Conclude at Tokyo Metropolitan Teien Art Museum, completed in 1933 as the residence of Prince Asaka and designed by the Imperial Household Ministry's Works Bureau with principal interiors involving French designer Henri Rapin and glass artist RenΓ© Lalique. Conversion into an art museum followed in 1983, and national Important Cultural Property designation in 2015 protected an architectural ensemble whose surviving rooms preserve one of Japan's major concentrations of interwar Art Deco design. The progression moves from stone sculpture created in response to the Meiwa fire through Satoru Kamegai's specialized scientific institution into Henri Rapin and RenΓ© Lalique's contributions to Prince Asaka's residence, carrying the journey across religious commemoration, medical research and interwar decorative art.

MAKE IT REAL

Foresyte Travel reveals places that feel extraordinary long before you arrive.
Experience premium editorial crafted for luxury travelers.

SEARCH

GET THE APP

Read the Latest:

Daytime aerial view of the Las Vegas Strip with Bellagio Fountains and major resorts.

Itinerary Inspiration

Perfect weekend in Las Vegas

Read now
Illuminated water fountains in front of the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas

Fascinations

Fun facts about Las Vegas

Read now
<< Back to news page
Right Menu Icon