Nogi Shrine, Tokyo

Nogi Shrine is a secluded sacred precinct where Akasaka's wooded slopes, restrained shrine architecture and preserved residential grounds create an unusually intimate encounter with the memory of General Maresuke Nogi and Shizuko Nogi.

Set along Nogi-zaka near Gaien-Higashi-dori and just steps from Nogizaka Station, the shrine unfolds behind a broad torii through stone paving, mature trees and a sequence of courtyards sheltered from the surrounding streets. Low rooflines and dark timber keep the principal sanctuary visually restrained, allowing the wooded perimeter and adjoining historical grounds to dominate the approach. Sightlines toward the neighboring residence introduce a domestic scale rarely encountered beside a major Tokyo shrine, bringing private and ceremonial spaces into immediate proximity. The result is a precinct where architecture, landscape and preserved domestic ground concentrate the historical memory of two individuals into a remarkably coherent urban sanctuary.

Nogi Shrine is best known for commemorating General Maresuke Nogi and his wife Shizuko after their deaths on September 13, 1912, the day of Emperor Meiji's funeral, an event that generated an organized memorial movement around their Akasaka home. Crowds subsequently gathered at the residence, and the nearby slope previously called Yureizaka received the name Nogizaka at the time of the couple's funeral. Tokyo mayor Baron Yoshiro Sakatani led supporters in forming the Central Nogi Association in 1913, with rites conducted at a small sanctuary on the residential grounds as the organization pursued a permanent shrine. Government authorization arrived in 1919, and the association acquired adjoining property that included part of the Kido marquisate estate for construction of the sanctuary. A dedication ceremony took place on November 1, 1923, followed two days later by visits from Prince Chichibu and Prince Kan'in. Air raids on May 25, 1945 destroyed the principal shrine buildings, and supporters across Japan subsequently funded reconstruction of the honden, heiden and haiden, completed on September 13, 1962 for the fiftieth anniversary of the enshrined couple's deaths.

The Former Residence of General Nogi preserves the domestic environment from which that commemorative institution developed. Nogi acquired the Akasaka property in 1879, added a brick stable in 1889 and completed the surviving residence in 1902 after working with engineer Torazo Kitazawa on a design drawing upon European buildings Nogi had studied overseas. Correspondence between Nogi and Kitazawa concerning the design survives, and the house departed from the elaborate reception-oriented Western residences common among Meiji elites by emphasizing practical daily living through compact rooms and extensive use of stair and attic areas. Nogi's will transferred the property to Tokyo City after his death, municipal management began in 1913 and public access followed in 1915, when walkways were installed along the eastern and southern sides for viewing the house. The residence suffered little damage during the 1923 Great Kanto Earthquake, underwent repairs in 1936 and 1943, passed to Minato City in 1950 and received Minato City cultural-property protection with its brick stable in 1987.

Nogi Shrine works as the anchor for a daytime progression through Edo shogunal patronage, postwar design culture and the architectural ambitions of a national art institution across Akasaka and neighboring Roppongi.

Begin at Akasaka Hikawa Shrine, whose foundation tradition reaches to 951, when the priest Renrin established a sanctuary to Hikawa Myojin in Hitotsugi Village, followed by an enduring rainmaking tradition associated with a severe drought in 1066. Tokugawa Yoshimune commissioned construction at the present site under senior councillor Mizuno Tadayuki in 1729, the shrine transferred there on April 26, 1730 and Yoshimune visited two days later; the surviving sanctuary endured the 1855 Ansei earthquake, 1923 Great Kanto Earthquake and 1945 Tokyo air raids before receiving Tokyo cultural-property protection in 1976. Continue to 21_21 Design Sight, whose origins extend to Issey Miyake's discussions about a Japanese design museum with Isamu Noguchi, Ikko Tanaka, Shiro Kuramata and Tadao Ando before Miyake renewed the proposal publicly in a 2003 Asahi Shimbun article. The institution opened at Tokyo Midtown in March 2007 under Miyake, Taku Satoh and Naoto Fukasawa, with Ando designing a predominantly subterranean building around a folded 54-meter steel roof derived from Miyake's A Piece of Cloth concept and placing approximately 80 percent of its floor area underground. Conclude at The National Art Center, Tokyo, conceived as an exhibition institution without a permanent collection and housed in Kisho Kurokawa's final major museum project. The institution opened in 2007 with approximately 14,000 square meters of exhibition area distributed through one of Japan's largest art venues, and Kurokawa's sweeping glass facade placed the building within the architect's late exploration of organic geometries and cultural infrastructure. The progression moves from Tokugawa Yoshimune's preservation of Edo religious patronage through Issey Miyake and Tadao Ando's institutional experiment in design into Kisho Kurokawa's architecture for large-scale rotating exhibitions, mapping three distinct mechanisms through which Akasaka and Roppongi accumulated cultural institutions.

MAKE IT REAL

Foresyte Travel reveals places that feel extraordinary long before you arrive.
Experience premium editorial crafted for luxury travelers.

SEARCH

GET THE APP

Read the Latest:

Daytime aerial view of the Las Vegas Strip with Bellagio Fountains and major resorts.

Itinerary Inspiration

Perfect weekend in Las Vegas

Read now
Illuminated water fountains in front of the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas

Fascinations

Fun facts about Las Vegas

Read now
<< Back to news page
Right Menu Icon