Eitai-dori, Tokyo

Eitai-dori is a consequential corridor where Nihonbashi's mercantile inheritance, Great Kanto Earthquake reconstruction, financial institutions and metropolitan engineering converge along the historic east-west approach between the Imperial Palace and Tokyo's eastern districts.

Running through Nihonbashi between Otemachi and Monzen-nakacho before continuing toward Toyocho and Shinsuna, the broad avenue passes corporate headquarters, banks and commercial buildings before crossing the Sumida River into Koto. Tokyo designates approximately seven kilometers from Otemon intersection to the western approach of Kiyosuna Bridge as Eitai-dori, with four to six traffic lanes across much of the route. Tokyo Metro's Tozai Line follows much of the same axis underground, binding the financial center around Otemachi and Nihonbashi to neighborhoods extending deep into eastern Tokyo. The result is a corridor where one of the capital's great reconstruction avenues still performs the metropolitan role assigned to it after the destruction of 1923.

Eitai-dori is best known for taking much of its modern form through the Imperial Capital Reconstruction program launched after the Great Kanto Earthquake, which reorganized eastern Tokyo with broad arterial roads, steel bridges and land readjustment. The reconstruction plan developed Eitai-dori as Main Arterial Street No. 3 alongside other major projects including Showa-dori and present-day Yasukuni-dori, establishing the avenue as a principal east-west route from the imperial center through Nihonbashi toward Fukagawa. The Sumida River crossing became the engineering centerpiece of that program after the earthquake severely damaged the earlier Eitai Bridge. Reconstruction Bureau engineers working under Enzo Ota and Yutaka Tanaka began the replacement in December 1924 from designs involving Yoshiyoshi Takenaka, completing a 184.7-meter-long, 25.6-meter-wide three-span cantilever tied-arch steel bridge in December 1926. Pneumatic caissons descended approximately 24 to 28 meters below mean water level to support the bridge, giving the reconstruction avenue an unusually ambitious piece of foundation engineering at the Sumida River. The wider reconstruction program completed the broad arterial system during the early Showa period, turning Eitai-dori and its new bridge into a continuous metropolitan connection from Otemachi through Nihonbashi and across the river toward eastern Tokyo.

Teito Rapid Transit Authority carried the same east-west movement underground when it developed subway Line No. 5 as a response to severe congestion on the Japanese National Railways Chuo and Sobu lines. The postwar rail plan originated with five subway routes announced in 1946, and a 1962 Urban Transportation Council recommendation defined Line No. 5 from Nakano through Takadanobaba, Iidabashi, Otemachi, Kayabacho and Toyocho toward Funabashi. The first Tozai Line section opened between Takadanobaba and Kudanshita in 1964, followed by the extension through Otemachi in 1966 as construction advanced beneath the central-city axis. Successive extensions carried the railway through Nihonbashi, Kayabacho, Monzen-nakacho and Toyocho before reaching Nishi-Funabashi in 1969, reproducing below ground much of the eastward movement that Eitai-dori had established at street level. The reconstruction avenue and Tozai Line consequently represent two generations of metropolitan infrastructure developed around the same geographical problem: moving immense volumes of people between Central Tokyo and the expanding districts east of the Sumida River.

Eitai-dori works as the anchor for a daytime exploration tracing early Showa department-store architecture, Japan's modern monetary system and the institutional development of securities trading around Nihonbashi.

Begin at Nihombashi Takashimaya Main Building, completed in 1933 from Teitaro Takahashi's competition-winning design for a steel-framed reinforced-concrete department store combining Western historical architecture with Japanese decorative elements. Togo Murano directed major postwar expansions in 1952 and 1954 and continued subsequent work until the store occupied the complete block, joining Takahashi's original building to Murano's modern additions as a single architectural composition. The property became an Important Cultural Property in 2009, the first department store building in Japan to receive that designation. Continue to Currency Museum, whose collection descends from the approximately 100,000 East Asian monetary objects assembled by numismatist Keibun Tanaka before the Bank of Japan acquired the collection in 1944. The institution opened its museum in 1985 and uses coinage, banknotes and related objects to trace Japanese monetary history from early imported Chinese coins through Tokugawa currency systems and the modern yen. Conclude at Tokyo Stock Exchange, descended from the Tokyo Stock Exchange Company established in 1878 after the Stock Exchange Ordinance created the institutional basis for modern securities markets in Meiji Japan. The exchange passed through wartime consolidation into the Japan Securities Exchange in 1943, resumed trading under a reorganized Tokyo Stock Exchange in 1949 and moved into its present market-center building in 1988, extending more than a century of organized securities trading in Kabutocho. The progression moves from Teitaro Takahashi and Togo Murano's evolving department-store architecture through the Bank of Japan's preservation of monetary history and onward to the institution that organized Tokyo's modern securities market, connecting commerce, currency and finance across the Nihonbashi territory surrounding Eitai-dori.

MAKE IT REAL

Foresyte Travel reveals places that feel extraordinary long before you arrive.
Experience premium editorial crafted for luxury travelers.

SEARCH

GET THE APP

Read the Latest:

Daytime aerial view of the Las Vegas Strip with Bellagio Fountains and major resorts.

Itinerary Inspiration

Perfect weekend in Las Vegas

Read now
Illuminated water fountains in front of the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas

Fascinations

Fun facts about Las Vegas

Read now
<< Back to news page
Right Menu Icon